I have 4 DVD-roms (according to belarc)

dagbladet 22:48 22 Oct 2003

After I did a clean re-install of XP home, I was making coasters, so checked the properties of my rom drives to discover 1 x CDRW listed (correct), and 3 x DVD readers (I have one). I ran belarc which says the following:

CD-ROM Drive
H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]

I don't know which are the correct drives. Does it matter ? Can/should I do anything about it ?
Thanks in advance.
Dag

dagbladet 23:38 22 Oct 2003

^

goonerbill 00:14 23 Oct 2003

belarc is rubbish. use aida32, much better click here
personnal edition.

dagbladet 00:22 23 Oct 2003

Rubbish it may be but Aida says the same, 1 cdrw AND 3 dvd-roms.

jimv7 08:43 23 Oct 2003

I think that these progs are reading your cdrom as 1 then your dvd as 4, a dvd recorder/dvd reader/and a cdwriter and a cdrom separately.

If its ok in device manager ignore it.

The way most of these programmes run as I understand it is to axcess the windows data base/registry for information so the information displayed can be misleading and not to be taken as gospel.

dagbladet 09:35 23 Oct 2003

Same in device manager.
What if I uninstalled them all and re-booted. Would XP then find the ones that really exist, or is that completely barking.

Stuartli 09:55 23 Oct 2003

Why not just use Windows/XP's own System Information facility through Programs/Accessories/System Tools?

It lists every program, driver, hardware, programs etc in fully comprehensive detail...:-)

Meanwhile, why not sell three of the four DVD-ROM drives and make a bit of cash...:-))

dagbladet 10:06 23 Oct 2003

Same, anyone want to buy one.

temp003 10:20 23 Oct 2003

I think you should try your own suggestion, of going into Device Manager, uninstall all of the drives, restart and let XP re-detect and install them.

The first 2 entries are the suspect ones, as they refer to the same thing and are supposed to be SCSI devices, which is unusual.

dagbladet 10:29 23 Oct 2003

temp003 I think you're right, those two SCSI devices show as 5 changes remaining with no region selected, the other shows region 2 with 4 remaining which ties in. What is SCSI anyway ?

alcudia 10:34 23 Oct 2003

SCSI click here for all you need to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?