I fear that my c drive may soon fail

mikefromp1 21:41 01 Feb 2006

The blue screen with windows needs to check your hard disk is occuring with more frequency. It takes about an hour for the checks to be completed, (80Gbyte disk- 72 Gbyte used). These are the symptons of a disk that is about to fail, or am I wrong?
I think it would be a good idea to transfer everything over to a new disk. So what is the best way to go about it?

I have another pc, with a slave 120Gbyte disk that could be used.
I have a Trust Easy file transfer cable with datalink drivers on a cd, I have never used this.

So advice would be very welcome. Would it be best to install the 120Gbyte disk in the problem pc, ( as a slave), and use something to transfer everything across internally. What software would I need? Would Nero copy it? And then could I reinstall the 120Gbyte disk a the master so that the computer would boot up as normal.

It seems straight forward, too straight forward. Are they any snags?

Alternatively, am I better off trying to use easy transfer using my USB hubs, ( please note my computers are not networked).

Or is there a better way?

MikeP.

Skyver 21:49 01 Feb 2006

Find out the drive manufacturer and run a diagnostic test from the relevant site to find out if your drive is actually failing. Seatools.exe for Seagate/Quantum, Powermax for Maxtor, others are available. Take the slave drive from your other machine, hook it up to the failing one and create an image with Acronis TrueImage (£) or copy your current system across to the new HD with DriveXML click here

De Marcus™ 21:51 01 Feb 2006

I'm fairly sure that only 8gb spare HD space on an 80gb drive would do this.

Use your 120gb drive to transfer all your data over, defrag, use ccleaner from click here for a spring clean.

P.s. I'd personally install the 120gb as a slave.

Before you do all this though (as large data transfers can accelerate drive failure) follow Skyver's suggestion.

Ray5776 22:00 01 Feb 2006

Hi Mikefromp1,

had a similar situation myself, try this: instal spare 120G as slave, back up the 80 onto the 120, instal your new drive (formatted and with the same O/S of course) then restore from the 120 to your new drive. This worked fine for me but I am no expert on these things. At least your failing drive is still alive so worth trying. I would wait for a few more postings as plenty more knowlegable than me on this site.

Good luck,
Ray

belt_and_braces 02:31 02 Feb 2006

by a maxtor, use its cloning utility to make new disk the boot disk

mikefromp1 15:28 05 Feb 2006

Many thanks for all the help. Belt & Braces had the best answer as my spare hard disk was a 120Gbyte Maxtor. A friend of mine also told me about a utility called Maxblast.
So I went to Maxtor.com and downloaded "Maxblast4 for windows", it's very good.
These programmes allow one to create a perfect bootable drive copying all of the files to the new drive, AS LONG AS 1 OF THE DRIVES IS A MAXTOR. You can also use it as an ordinary diskcopying tool as well.
The whole process took several hours as the data involved was about 65Gbyte. However it was almost a single click job. The bonus was that Maxblast generates an installation instruction tailor made to the setup of your computer.

Since the installation of the new drive they have been NO MORE BLUE SCREEN DISKCHECKING, sittuations on booting up. It seems to me that the continual blue screen scenario is an early warning of hard disk failure.

MikeP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?