I don't know what I am doing....

lexie 12:25 17 Jul 2008

Hi

I tried to find some free software for burning DVD's and in the process I downloaded some. Anyway the software doens't work so I deleted it, no bother.

But I now keep getting this virus scanning thing keep coming up. It's a virus scanning tool that wants me to run it, so I have tried:

deleting the package
running it as it's requests
not running it

Either way when ever I try to go on the net, it keeps popping up! I can't download it as it wants and it's stopping me going on line! HELP!!

I can't remember the website that it says is the source of the virus checker but it's something like getievirus.com or something! I am at work otherwise I would check and give more details!

I need to delete this programme and get my access back as my net is my life line as I live in Germany!

Thanks loads
Lexie xxx

P.S I am very very un-technical if anyone wants to give me instructions on what to try!

nosharpe 12:33 17 Jul 2008

A good program for burning CD's/DVD's is Nero click here.
I think you can download a free or trial limited trial copy.

Can you tell me what program you downloaded?
It's probable that the downloaded program covertly included some "free" software along the lines of a anti-virus program.

lexie 12:39 17 Jul 2008

I went to this website:

click here

and then I think I downloaded Burnaware Free Edition and one other but I can't remember now, I managed to delete both the downloads but this stupid pop up virus thing got in and I can't get it out!! Everytime I go on the net, it directs me to the website of the company of the virus thing, but I can't remember it here at work, think it was something like getievirus.com or something?

thanks
L

recap 12:40 17 Jul 2008

When the intrusive program pops up end the task. To do this hold down Ctrl+Alt and press Delete once and then select Task Manager. It should show up in the Applications section, highlight the program and select End Process/Yes/OK. This is only a short term fix until you can get rid of the program completely.

lexie 12:41 17 Jul 2008

Thanks recap but I have tried that and then everytime I open the net it comes back and takes me to the website again and it won't let me do anything....

L

recap 12:44 17 Jul 2008

click here it should help

DippyGirl 12:49 17 Jul 2008

My Burner of choice is DeepBurner (free) click here
Are you just being directed to the site (yesitsfree) when you open your browser - ie that is now set as your homepage?
Or does another task get started ? If so what is its name?

lexie 12:51 17 Jul 2008

the site yesitsfree was the site were I downloaded the free software for the dvd burning. The brower now takes me to another site, the site of the virus checking people but I can't remember what it is, maybe it will have to wait till tomorrow, till I can tell you all what that site is....

lexie 12:53 17 Jul 2008

my homepage is set to google but it keeps changing to the virus people, when I try to open another tab it suddenly changes to the virus people again also!

Ditch999 14:58 17 Jul 2008

You are infected with a virus or other malware.
You need to run a proper anti-virus scan and malware scan in Safe Mode with reputable software.
There are plenty of free ones available.

peter99co 15:17 17 Jul 2008

Do you have anti virus software on the machine?

If you have you should run it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?