I connect to router but can't access internet!

ale25101 21:14 29 Oct 2007

Hello. I am new here. My problem is that i bought a belkin G router for wireless connection. My internet provider is Virgin Media Broadband. Well on my laptop i connect to the router but i still cannot access internet or msn! why is this? I am also not sure if connection type is static, dynamic or something else (I currently have it under dynamic).

I would be so glad if u can help me as I have spent hours trying to solve this problem out through my laptop internet settings but seem to get nowhere!

Alex

SurgicalSpirit 10:46 30 Oct 2007

You dont say wether the router is a broadband router or adsl you need a broadband router

assuming that yours is do this in order

turn off laptop

disconnect power from router

disconect power from cable modem

wait a couple of minutes then reconnect power to cable modem wait until all lights are lit there may be one that isnt but dont worry

plug power to router wait till lights are lit

turn on laptop

you should then have access to internet if not

go to your routers setup pages and see if the ip is showing some where on one of the tabs

i am not familiar with this router.

read the instructions for setting up the should give you more info than i can

ps dont forget to set up wireless security onec everything is working

ale25101 16:26 30 Oct 2007

The router is for broadband. It is a belkin wireless G router n. F5D7230uk4. My problem is that my laptop and my flat mate's laptop do get the signal (described as excellent) and connect to the router but they can't access the internet. When I run the troubleshooter it says that the IP address is right but that the default gateway is offline!

This is a really stressing situation as both me and my flat mate usually need to access internet at the same times and at the moment just one of us can do it at a time as we need to connect our laptops to the internet cable. Can u please tell me what can i do to solve this problem?

SurgicalSpirit 17:14 30 Oct 2007

i Would suggest you reset the router to factory default and start from scratch using the method previously posted your intructions shoul tell you how to reset the router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone