I cant turn my PC off

Gbug 16:37 26 Apr 2006

Hiya there

I hope some one can help me
i think my girlfriend was downloading som music throug Ares (i p2p Naughty girl), the nxt time i come to use the computer i cant get on to the internet or eighter netscape it just hangs there.
I dont recongnise the ntl ip address, i then try to use the clt-alt-delete and nothing happens eighter.
I then try and turn off my computer going through
Start button/turn off and a window pops up outlook.exe not responding end now and another option eighter option and my computer doesn't close down or turn off i have to unplug it!!

add: i also found a 780mb of files i'v never heard off or downloaded my share file

im never using p2p ever again

iv ran adaware and spybot

HELP!!

woodchip 16:43 26 Apr 2006

Go to Start Run Type MSCONFIg press enter, go to Startup Tab Look at the items that have a tick in the box remove any tickes that you do not know, write down the ones you remove just in case you need to put the tick back, click apply and restart Computer. Put a tick in the little box so it does not pop up when you restart Then try Netscape again.

Gbug 17:01 26 Apr 2006

im running XP With and Service Pack 2
i cant type anything in the black Dos window either

Gbug 17:03 26 Apr 2006

ok woodchip i'll giv it another go tonite as im at work now.
get back to you 2moz
cheers

Gbug 11:04 28 Apr 2006

Thanks for your help i went into msconfig and selected diagnostic option!! restarted and ran spyware that got rid of 9 worms, then i could get back in to the task manager,i can now close down my computer great and netscape works but with no connection i think i need to find the ip address again how do i do that??through the cmd sceen! also i clicked back on to normal start up but i still hav a gray task bar like it still in diagnostic mode
Hope you can help
Thanks

woodchip 13:29 28 Apr 2006

Looks like may have still got some nasties on board. You need to fully clear them from your Drive before trying XP repair or running SFC. You Could do some Online Scans. click here

click here

click here

click here
Come back with info after

Gbug 15:48 28 Apr 2006

Im on my works computer at work!
iv hooked up my girlfriends laptop to the net at home is there one that i can install on to mine
Cheers

woodchip 17:32 28 Apr 2006

Yes you can get Free Avast, but you have to register it each year. also they send a Reg key that you have to put in to download updates. It does this automatic when you are up and running. click here

Gbug 21:19 29 Apr 2006

I'v ran the avast scann and yes lots of horses and worms popped out and i think i killed them off, now i need to get back on the net how do i find and get the ip address again
G

woodchip 21:24 29 Apr 2006

Your best bet first is Run

SFC /SCANNOW from Run Box, with the WinXP CD in Computer to restore repair Missing and Corrupt files. Then If I was you resetup your ISP

Gbug 22:35 29 Apr 2006

on the xp disc do i need to run and install suptools on the disc only it's telling i cant install anything as this may occure when in safe mode and i dont know if im in safe mode i dont thing i am?
G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?