i cant enter my program files dir [ help ]

125 13:54 31 Aug 2006

hello,

ive just recently networked my computers at home running windows XP Home.
im trying to run a program on a different computer, in a different room, so i can work with it in my room but, windows is telling me that i cant access the program files dir for all of my networked computers, how would i be able to access it?
i really need to be able to do this!
any help is appreciated,

thank you,

d.s

FelixTCat 16:27 31 Aug 2006

Networking per se will not do what you want. you will have to use a program to remotely control one from the other.

There are some commercial programs such as pcAnywhere that do this and there may be some freeware ones too.

If you have a broadband connection, then you can use the free version of LogMeIn click here to use remote control.

Regards,

Felix

125 02:51 01 Sep 2006

hey felix,

thanks for the reply.
the program you recommended works great, although there are some minor issues that im facing with it.
unfortunately, i feel a bit unsafe to be using the internet to access my network, is there anything else that i can use that can do the same?

thanks!

dice.

FelixTCat 09:15 01 Sep 2006

First, LogMeIn uses 128-bit encryption, so it is no less safe than online banking or online purchasing.

Second, once LogMeIn has established contact on a private network, all the further communication takes place solely on that network and not via the internet at all.

As I said, there are commercial programs and may be freeware ones, though I don't know of, and haven't used, any.

Regards,

Felix

125 08:33 02 Sep 2006

hey felix,

i feel alot better now, hehe.
do you use LogMeIn as well? if you do i have a couple of questions that maybe you can help me out with too, although ive sent them an email about it.

thanks!

d.s

FelixTCat 09:01 02 Sep 2006

Yes, I use it all the time, including across the internet. Ask away.

Regards,

Felix

125 01:49 03 Sep 2006

hey felix,

ive come across couple of problems that i wasnt able to fix.

a.) because i work with audio, how do i get audio to come out from the computer that is doing the remote controling? (i.e: computer A is controling computer B. i control B to open iTunes but i only hear the music from computer B and not from computer A. this goes with anyother audio software.)

b.) how will i be able to use the software on the controling computer and yet have that computer be usable/manageable? (i.e: when im controlling computer B, computer B is unmanageable because, its doing the same thing as computer A. i want the person on computer B to be able to browse the net and maintain its natural computer use while im controling.

c.) if i open the software on computer B, while controling with A, which processor will be in use as far as managing the controled software?

thank you!

d.s

FelixTCat 09:33 03 Sep 2006

Hi 125,

I'll try and answer your questions.

a.) remote control software is designed to transmit your keyboard and mouse instructions to the remote pc and let you view the screen as if you were sitting in front of it; it isn't designed to transmit sounds. To listen to sounds on pc B you will have to transfer the sound files to pc B

b.) it is the default setup for 2 people to control pc B, i.e. the keyboard and mouse of pc B are not disabled; you can disable them in Preferences - Remote Control Settings - Security; it is somewhat weird to watch 2 mouse cursors moving around the screen at the remote pc - pc user B will only see their own mouse cursor, yet other windows will be opening and closing etc

c.) processor B always controls pc B and processor A always controls pc A

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix

125 01:32 04 Sep 2006

hey felix,

thanks felix this was very helpful, but i dont quit understand the first one just yet, could you explain it in more depth?

thanks!

d.s

FelixTCat 13:18 04 Sep 2006

Remote control is what it says - it controls your pc remotely. It transfers the mouse movements and keyboard inputs to the remote pc which then acts on them. In addition it transmits the remote pc's screen to your local pc so that you can see what the remote pc is doing.

It doesn't transmit the sounds from the remote pc to the local pc. Thus if you are playing sounds on the remote pc you cannot hear them on the local pc.

I don't know if any software that transmits the sounds from a remote pc to a local pc. If you want to listen to an mp3 file that is on the remote pc, you first have to copy or move the file to the local pc and then listen to it.

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone