I can't connect although networks show fine :(

jenni.wimberley 15:36 26 Dec 2013

Hello. My own laptop died recently and a friend was good enough to send me an 'eee pc 1101ha' notebook style laptop that she no longer uses. When it first arrived, I went to set up the internet connection. It worked - for about 20 minutes, then my connection to the internet dropped out. There is nothing wrong with the signal from the router - I can get online using same router on my phone and the borrowed laptop I am working from now. The eee pc shows it has a strong signal. I've also attached it to the router using the cable, but it makes no difference. I've tried 'repairing' the Atheros wireless network adaptor but get the message it is working fine. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I've reset the PC using system restore. I've pinged, I've renewed my IP address. But nothing. I'm told I have a connection, everything is working fine but when I try to go online I get the 'can't establish a connection to the server at google.co.uk' message. The icon on the tool bar showing internet connectivity is a PC monitor, with 'waves' coming off it. If I am connected properly, the monitor is white. It always flickers white when I boot up, or after I have made any changes or tried something new, but it turns black within seconds and stays black. The PC is running on Windows XP. Any assistance would be very much appreciated :) Many thanks, Jen

Forum Editor 11:47 29 Dec 2013

The fact that you get a good wireless signal indicator, and that the connection worked for a while when you first used the Netbook, allied to the fact that you experience the same difficulty when you connect the machine to the router by cable gives a clue - the problem possibly lies with the router.

If you feel comfortable looking at the router settings (which you do by typing an IP address into your browser) you might try deleting all other machines from the address table, then delete the Netbook. Restart the router and the Netbook, and let the router assign a new IP address. See if that makes a difference. If it does, you can add back your phone and any other machines one by one.

If you're not sure how to handle the router settings, post back here with the name and model, and one of us will step you through the process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros