I can't choose a desktop pic

chewett 15:55 12 Sep 2007

I want to use a pic as desktop background but when I go to the control panel>appearances>desktop the list of backgrounds to choose from are unable to be chosen, I also can't use the browse button. All I have is the colour which I can change. I have tried another way, by right clicking on a pic and choosing set as wallpaper but this won't work either. Not sure whats happened. Can anyone help at all?

Many thanks.

Marko797 15:58 12 Sep 2007

Ru on XP or Vista? (I don't have Vista so know nothing as a solution)If XP, what version is it? (Pro/Home etc)

Marko797 16:08 12 Sep 2007

On mine (XP Home) I go to Settings\Ctrl Panel\Display\Desktop tab\Browse button...I don't need to use the appearances tab

chewett 16:21 12 Sep 2007

I'm on XP, home version I think. The way you said is how I know how to do it but i can't use the browse button or able to choose from the list of backgrounds.

Marko797 16:26 12 Sep 2007

Sorry then chewett, I can't help out. Don't understand why u have no 'browse' button

wee eddie 16:44 12 Sep 2007

"My Pictures" in the My Documents Folder.

Do you have any pictures in that Folder?

chewett 16:50 12 Sep 2007

Yes, I have pictures in "My Pictures". I have gone to those pics and tried to do it that way but no luck. I can set the screen saver but not the desktop background. Cheers

wee eddie 17:17 12 Sep 2007

Do you mean that it is "Greyed out"?

or

Where does the address box "Top Left" entitled "Look in" say that you are?

Lionheart ? 17:40 12 Sep 2007

Have you tried right clicking the pic,when it opens their should be an option to Set as Desktop Background.

brundle 17:45 12 Sep 2007

Are you sure `Active Desktop` is not enabled.
click here

chewett 18:20 12 Sep 2007

Lionheart: Yep tried right clicking, won't work.

Wee edie: Yes, it is greyed out

Brundle: Not sure what 'Active Desktop' is, will click on your link.

Thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?