I cannot delete files

londonirish 22:33 03 May 2015

Hi,

I got my computer end of December and it's started to play up already.

When you delete a file, a dialogue box pops up to tell you how much percentage of the files has been deleted etc. A few weeks ago I had a file that would not delete from my recycle bin. I downloaded a program that deleted it but the file would not disappear from the dialogue box.

Today, the same problem happened. I have three files in my recycle bin that won't delete. I get the dialogue box telling me it's 57% deleted but it's static and I still have the old deleted file in the dialogue box from a few weeks ago.

How can I fix this? Thanks.

londonirish 22:35 03 May 2015

I'm using an Acer PC with Windows 8.1 64-bit, Intel 15-4440 CPU @ 3.10GhZ

rdave13 22:50 03 May 2015

Right click the recycle bin icon and select properties. Make note of the size allocated for your drive then change to 1 MB. Close and then reboot. Open recycle bin's properties again and change back to the original size.

Open CMD as admin and run sfc /scannow to check and repair system errors.

londonirish 22:57 03 May 2015

Thanks very much.

How do I open CMD and how do I run sfc /scannow?

rdave13 23:20 03 May 2015

On the desktop right click the start icon, bottom left. Select Command Prompt (admin). Type or copy and paste sfc /scannow into the CMD window. Press the 'enter' key and let it run. If it shows errors that can't be corrected run sfc a few more times. A tad time consuming.

londonirish 23:24 03 May 2015

OK I did what you said and the result was:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios"

londonirish 23:56 03 May 2015

I've run scannow three times and each time I've gotten the above message. What do I do now?

rdave13 23:57 03 May 2015

Run it a few more times. Hopefully it will correct all the errors eventually. Note at 20% it will seem as if it's not doing anything but just wait until it runs to 100%

rdave13 23:59 03 May 2015

36 minutes to run the system file checker three times is a bit short. Are you allowing it to run fully?

londonirish 00:01 04 May 2015

What happens if I run it for another three times and I receive the same message?

londonirish 00:11 04 May 2015

Yes, I click enter and it runs until it hits 100%. I don't type anything else in that box until it finishes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?