I badly need advice regarding my laptop please

bethjess 06:11 23 Nov 2007

I purchased a new laptop 6 months ago after i came to the end of my tether with the one which i use to use (and eventually gave away to a friend for her university work), causing constant problems such as crashing and the dvd rewriter failing and ultimately the harddrive totally dying after only 2 years. I was awaiting the return of the older one which had been sent off for repair for the 4th time in only 2 years and after hearing nothing after 6 weeks and getting no sense from the people who were meant to be repairing it, i thought id cut my losses and buy a new one. Because the 1st one had cost me a grand (includes 5 year cover plan), i thought i would go for a cheaper one , but now i seriously wish i hadnt for a few reasons including the fact that just 2 weeks after purchasing the new one the old one came back with a new hardrive fitted .

Anyway i am getting more and more problems developing with the new one, including

1)it refusing to do more then one thing at a time, ie if i am listening to an mp3 and trying to surf the internet or something it stops dead,

2)an annoying message saying" windows explorer has stopped working" appears frequently when i am in the middle of stuff and then everything going off ,

3) my windows media player has stopped working completely

4) my printer which worked fine with the xp system wont work atall with this despite downloading the new drivers, so i purchased a new one and this wont work either

5) The most annoying thing is that it wont even let me create the restore disk-there wasnt any windows disks with it when i bought it, because aparently they now expect you to make your own.

6 )aswell as this the system is very sluggish and my older one was much faster, and i am ashamed to admit that i have only just realized why, the machine runs vista basic and has only a 1.6 ghz processor and 446mb memory , while my old one running xp had a 512mb memory and 2.8 ghz processor and i could also run paint shop pro on it which I like to use but havent been able to since getting this one.

I contacted the people with whom i have the cover plan and all they said is do a packard bell reformat from the c drive . I did this and it has made no difference atall. So i contacted them again and they said nothing of any help atall. It seems i wasted my money and am continuing to do so because they are taking £7 per month direct debit from me for my insurance cover.

I just dont know what to do, should i try to sell this one or give it away,? or persevere with it?,

crosstrainer 06:49 23 Nov 2007

Becoming all to frequent. The machine is quite simply not up to the job. Vista needs 2gb of memory to function properly. 512mg just isn't enough. Your options are to upgrade the memory, (and probably re-format yet again) or return the machine for a refund, and go for a higher spec.

Crucials site click here

Will scan your laptop and tell you what it's capable of memory wise.

iscanut 11:26 23 Nov 2007

This thread is also on Beginners pages so may confuse people. Best to have one thread on one section. Suggest you tick one of them as resolved to you only have one thread to watch out for.

bethjess 04:25 06 Dec 2007

Thanks for the replies to my message, i do appreciate it alot . I decided to contact the people with whom my insurance is with and asked them where i would stand with regards to my warranty if i were to have more memory fitted and they said as long as its fitted by pc world then there is no problem. So i took my laptop along this last monday and had it upgraded to 2 GB. THe system is okay so far and i can now even listen to mp3s while on the internet etc something which i could never do before because it stopped dead.

THanks again

beth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?