I am post the follow as a comment-the item

jack 16:53 19 Jan 2009

Is beyond help I would imagine.
One of my flock with a 5 year old Evesham machine is having trouble with his display.
Column of dashes similar to a broadsheet newspaper across the screen through which the normal display can be dimly seen.
The connection is HDMI- to a graphics card so to attempt to prove something I took along a standard Monitor AVI cable to connect the on board video to the monitor.
The on board Video socket is in the normal place with the appropriate mark stamped in the panel.but the plug would not go in.
So referring the graphic sheet supplied with the machine the illustration shows the standard socket with 3 rows of connectors as it should.
But on close inspection the on board socket has only 2 rows.
I've never seen that before.
So its down to a new graphics card for him I guess.

interzone55 17:25 19 Jan 2009

A d plug with 2 rows of connectors sounds like a serial port.

Have you looked up near the keyboard & mouse connector for a standard blue VGA connector?

Probably worth closing this and opening a thread on Helproom, or mailing FE to get him to move it for you...

Forum Editor 17:43 19 Jan 2009

from Speakers Corner.

Switcher 17:59 19 Jan 2009

If you find the standard VGA socket, you may have to remove the video card also, as sometimes the insertion of the card automatically disables the on board video. There is also a possibility that the on board video may require to be enabled in the bios. If possible you should try a different monitor to determine if the problem lies with the monitor, cable or card.

jack 20:23 19 Jan 2009

there is no VGA socket [Small D 19 connectors in 3 rows] on the mother board thats for sure
I know my way around a back plane.
Everest home showed on board graphic- but as discussed no VGA socket.
The Graphics card has one of course along side the HDMI socket.
The reason I posted was simply express my amazment at what I always thought the back panel on any MoBo to be the same.
Although changing now with parallels and coms ports fading away the VGA and audio stuff
together with combinations of USB and Firewire and net work comnnectors.
When next I see this machine I will photo the item.

harps1h 20:31 19 Jan 2009

it might occur to you that there is no onboard video card. many motherboards do not have one, thus no vga connector.

Switcher 20:33 19 Jan 2009

Perhaps the makers did not bother to install an on board video socket because they were using a graphics card instead of using on board graphics.
The on board video socket is not part of the basic case but comes with the motherboard.
Anyway my apologies, I thought that you were requesting help/advice.

woodchip 21:53 19 Jan 2009

Two Rows is I think a very old VGA socket, You may be able to get a converter.

PS I would say the Video Card is caput

woodchip 22:03 19 Jan 2009
  DieSse 23:07 19 Jan 2009

Can you post the exact model number of the system please. This will help us see what the system has/should have in it.

Stuartli 00:08 20 Jan 2009

A "standard monitor AVI cable" will be a DVI (or perhaps VGA) cable.

Rows of lines on the monitor more often than not indicate the need for a PSU of much higher wattage capacity.

HDMI was first revealed in 2002 and has undergone specification revisions since that time. See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires