I am about to throw my pc out the window or me.

barnett_20 13:46 29 Sep 2008

I am on virgin media and have a standard virgin modem and brought a wireless router yesterday pluged all in correctly and the router was detected.

After this is asked me for my ADSL username and password??? God knows what it is, i rung virgin and 3 foreigners later i was told they dont give the Urser name and password and i have the wrong router. I need a DSL router.

What is all of this and if i buy another one today that is DSL will it work straight away without asking for the Undername and password.

Please help i only want to use my laptop wireless.

oldbeefer2 13:55 29 Sep 2008

While connected with old modem, download and run this prog click here - under 'secrets' it will give your username and password. This was suggested by another forum member when I had a similar problem.

Halmer 13:56 29 Sep 2008

to access Virgin.

This is the same for any home user. I have a user name and password to access Pipex for example.

Presumably they will not give it to you over the phone for security reasons or they are not convinced you are you!

When you signed up did you get a letter from Virgin with these details in it?

rob3600 13:58 29 Sep 2008

I'm no expert it could be one of two possibilities:

1. use either your email address as your user name and your email password as your password.

2. As it is a new router use the default username and password supplied with this and you can than change it o your won secure settings.

I know what it is like when ringing call centers and getting through to people who cannot understand you and you cannot understand them. I found this site useful click here enter your companies phone number and you will be given an alternative local number. Good luck

Taff™ 14:14 29 Sep 2008

Are we missing the point here? It sounds to me like you`ve bought an ADSL router for use with BT line when in fact you have Virgin Cable and need a Cable DSL wireless router. Tell me what make and model of router you have bought and where from. (You may be able to take it back and swap it for the right model.)

barnett_20 14:40 29 Sep 2008

its a Philips SNK5600 ... or summin like that brought it from pc world

what should i get ?

woodchip 14:57 29 Sep 2008

If its a Wirelss Router, you do not need to get anything else. They will all ask for your user name and password, as they cannot connect until you put them in

Technotiger 15:16 29 Sep 2008

click here this is for Cable customers.

Picklefactory 15:25 29 Sep 2008

... and just installed wireless router over the weekend with no issue at all. Took 15 minutes.

OK, re: router type. Google tells me (I don't know this one) that the model you've posted IS a DSL/Cable router, so should be OK. There is a difference between DSL/ Cable routers and ADSL routers which use a standard telephone line NOT cable.

re: username and password, you would have been issued with a user name and password by Virgin on initial connection. Mine came on a tear off card and had a user name that consisted of around 8 digits (I'll check when I get home)something like 4 letters of my name plus 4 random numbers that Virgin assign, there was alao a password issued with this that you could change online to one of your choice. But this is primarily for accessing your selfcare info online.

However, I don't understand why you need these passwords just to install a wirelss router?

The router I installed was a Netgear, but I doubt the procedure would be radically different and cable broadband is very easy to get started. There were boxes available within the setup windows that were for inputting username and password, by I believe those are really only for dialup set ups, not broadband.

Did the set up refuse to continue without the username and password info?

barnett_20 15:26 29 Sep 2008

yes thats it.. is it wrong or summin?

gardener 15:26 29 Sep 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?