I 386 - any need to back-up?

panhandle 00:04 03 Jan 2006

Silly question I know - somehow this folder of 6000+ has got into My Docs on my daughters laptop. I need to do a reinstall of Windows, since, search,Explorer and most else are are not functioning.
I've copied all rest of My Docs contents across to my desktop - what about I386? These are system 32 files that will be reloaded with SP2, updates etc I think?
Or have I lost the plot? A little guidance would be useful. Ta!

DieSse 00:15 03 Jan 2006

*I 386 - any need to back-up?*

Not if you're re-installing XP. It'll be created afresh in the correct place when you do so.

Brezza 00:16 03 Jan 2006

i386 is system related i belive although i shouldnt imagine there would be a need to back it up if your doing a fresh install. If it is an essential required update it should download via windows update when you first connect to the net after re-installing.

Why you have over 6000+ files in there i have no idea....i had i386 at one point but there were 4-5 files in it tops.... 6000+ doesnt sound right at all to me, definatly go with the re-install :)

hope this helps

panhandle 00:20 03 Jan 2006

You have confirmed my suspicions, and given the necessary reassurance - reinstall it will be.

Stuartli 00:33 03 Jan 2006

My main i386 folder totals 99.6MB..:-)

If you have XP, try a Repair first rather than a full reinstall.

There are many posts detailing the procedure, which will retain all the programs, applications, oonfiguration etc already on the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?