Hyper-threading Crash

Dan Electro 19:43 17 Feb 2006

When I enable hyper-threading my machine crashes. It seems to do it when I click anything in the sys tray. I have also noticed that if I try to disable my Linksys USB ethernet adapter in the device manager the machine crashes (ok if I do it in safe mode). Machine seems to be ok when hyper-threading is turned off. I should also mention that I recently installed the latest edition of Norton internet security, and am using the Norton security center rather than the one built into windows. Any ideas anyone this is driving me mad, and I would like to be able to turn hyper-threading back on. Got all the latest drivers by the way which has made no difference.

wbiggchiefy 21:26 17 Feb 2006

Unless there are some serious, serious etc....
eggheads out there I would suggest u go straight to the microsoft site and seek help from the guys there who really do know it all - loads of forums for different things and there is an "experts" thing u can click on to get your q read by the most knowledgable guys.

gudgulf 21:40 17 Feb 2006

What spec is the pc?

Dan Electro 17:05 18 Feb 2006

The machine spec is - Dell Dimension 4600, 3.06G Pentium 4 (HT), 512 mb ram, NVidia Geforce 5200 256 mb ram, Audigy 2 sound card. These are the basic specs I obviously have other hardware and software installed.

gudgulf 19:40 19 Feb 2006

Is the machine new or has it run ok with hyperthreading enabled in the past?

If new it suggests a hardware fault...so use your warranty.

Try CPU-Z click here to identify your processor model fully.

Not all the 3.06GHz p4s supported Hyperthreading and it might be a good idea to check that it is a model that does.

Dan Electro 14:09 20 Feb 2006

The machine was given to me; it's only about a year old. It had a faulty hard drive and when I fitted the new one the bios would not recognize either the new drive or the DVD drive. On the advice of Dell I reset the bios, what I didn't realize was that that the bios defaults to 'single processor' status. After I installed windows I was checking the bios and discovered that hyper threading was turned off. I enabled it, windows installed the drivers automatically and then the blue screen of death problem started. I am beginning to wonder if the way forward is a repair installation of windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?