Huge problem with laptop!

jamtarts 17:33 01 Apr 2007

Ok,it's an Evesham laptop,the problem is that that laptop went completely kaput,i re-formatted the partition but when it was complete it said that NTLDR is missing,does anybody know what that is? I then tried to re-install windows XP with the recovery disc but when i get to the screen that it starts to copy the files into C:/WINDOWS it gets to 2% then it restarts on it's own,i've tried it a few times but it keeps doing it!

--------------------------------------------------

I have another laptop that i have a small problem with,the no.2 button with the " sign on it,when i press it to get the quotes it's the @ sign that comes up and when i press the button with the @ sign it's the " sign that comes up,does anyone know how to rectify this problem,also i tried to get AOL installed on this computer,it finds the modem but it won't or can't find a network connection!

VoG II 17:36 01 Apr 2007

For the @ and " problem, Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages tab, Details button, set the keyboard to United Kingdom.

jamtarts 17:44 01 Apr 2007

Thank you VoG,that's one problem solved,now only another dozen to go!lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 01 Apr 2007

NTLDR is missing

take the cd out of the drive when it reboots during the install process.

jamtarts 18:03 01 Apr 2007

Still comes up NTLDR is missing!

realist 18:08 01 Apr 2007

click here
any help?

jamtarts 18:35 01 Apr 2007

Nah,i think the first laptop is totally kaput!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 01 Apr 2007

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?