HTTP Error 404

Diemmess 10:39 21 Jan 2009

This I fear is peculiar to my AOL browser, and one website only.

Neither I.E. nor Firefox give any trouble.

Google offers a range of "cures" including free downloads, but I'm anxious not to make matters worse.

XP Pro SP3, AVG and ZA up to date and behaving themselves.

Apart from Restoring an Acronis file which is 21 days old and the fuss that will make, what should I do.

johndrew 16:39 21 Jan 2009

Whether this suggestion will work I`m not certain, but having had similar problems in the past it did work for me.

Create a `Restore` point. If you have ERUNT click here the make a backup of your Registry for `belt & braces`
Run Ccleaner click here to clean all rubbish from both the System and Registry.
Run RegScrubXP click here using the `RegScrubXP Finds Problems` selection and `Select` and `Fix` everything it finds.

If it all fails to work as you want and you feel you have lost anything you can always either `Restore` or recover using ERUNT.

Hope it works for you.

Diemmess 16:53 21 Jan 2009

Thanks johndrew

Your suggestions make sense and may work for others with similar troubles.

I am still checking, but I seem to have recovered the long way round. (A full restore with Acronis)

I emailed AOL "live help" and a reply came back inside an hour listing with instructions:
-Rebuild AOL adapter followed by Disable Topspeed.

Not very surprised that neither worked, though Topspeed and Compression were not enabled anyway

Restored an Acronis backup and separately copied 'organize' folder from the current AOL internals so staying up to date.
Phew!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017