HTML Help - Frames!

Binoboy 13:19 11 Aug 2003

Hi,

I'm looking for some HTML help with frames. I'm doing my best to use WebExpress 2.0 to build a website but I'm having some problems putting frames into it, something I've never done before. Basically I don't know how to click on a link on the frame on the right so the main area of the screen goes to that page. I know this is to do with tags but I don't understand them all that well and I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where to put them in the HTML scripting. Thanks :)

Ben Avery 13:41 11 Aug 2003

Try this - text which needs changing to suit is enclosed in 3 {{{ signs ok?:

<html>

<frameset cols="{{{INPUT COLUMN WIDTH HERE}}}" frameborder="{{{YES or NO}}}" border="{{{BORDER WIDTH}}}" framespacing="{{{FRAME SPACING - IF UNSURE LEAVE AS 0}}}" frame name="{{{PUT A NAME FOR THE MAIN FRAME HERE - USUALLY MainFrame OR SIMILAR}}}" src="{{{THIS IS THE PATH FOR THE ACTUAL HTML FRAME AND WILL LOOK SOMETHING LIKE MainFrame.html IF YOU HAVE IT IN THE MAIN WEB FOLDER}}}">

<frameset cols="{{{INPUT COLUMN WIDTH HERE}}}" frameborder="{{{YES or NO}}}" border="{{{BORDER WIDTH}}}" framespacing="{{{FRAME SPACING - IF UNSURE LEAVE AS 0}}}" frame name="{{{PUT A NAME FOR THE RIGHT FRAME HERE - USUALLY RightFrame OR SIMILAR}}}" scrolling="{{{DO YOU WANT IT TO BE SCROLLABLE YES OR NO}}}" noresize {{{THIS FUNCTION STOPS THE WIDTH BEING CHANGED BY VIEWERS}}} src="{{{FRAME SOURCE E.G. Navigation_Bar.html OR RightFrame.html}}}">
</frameset>

I'm sure any mistakes I have made will be picked up on and advised accordingly!

BA

Binoboy 14:04 11 Aug 2003

Cheers that's great, I'll just give it a go

Binoboy 14:20 11 Aug 2003

One last thing, how do you code a link in the NavBar so that it's the mainframe the new page appears in?

Ben Avery 14:41 11 Aug 2003

When you type you HREF code in, include the following:

target="_main"

The whole link should look something like this (this would be the link to a page called "Links_frameset.html" and the Hyperlink would display as "Links"):

<a href="Links_framset.html" target="_main">Links<a>

BA

Ben Avery 14:42 11 Aug 2003

Sorry that should read

target="MainFrame" where MainFrame is the name of the left hand frame on your page.

Ba

Ben Avery 14:44 11 Aug 2003

Sorry, I'm having a blonde day!

target="_MainFrame"

;o)

BA

Ben Avery 15:11 11 Aug 2003

Type this and try it:

<html>

<title>Web Page</title>

<frameset cols="*,100" frameborder="YES" border="3" framespacing="0">

<frame name="mainFrame" noresize src="MainFrame.html">

<frame name="rightFrame" scrolling="NO" src="NavBar.html">

</frameset>

</html>

The cols="*,100" tells the browser that the right hand column (NavBar) will be exactly 100 pixels wide, and that the left hand column (mainFrame) will be 100% of whats left. This is a good way to ensure your main page will be viewed ok in both 800x600 & 1024x768 resolutions.

You then need to create 2 HTML pages, 1 called MainFrame.html, which will house you main text etc, & 1 called NavBar.html which will contain your links.

Your NavBar will look something like this:

<html>

<title>Navigation Bar</title>

<a href="index.html" target="_parent">Home</a>

<p>

<a href="links.html" target="mainFrame">Links</a>

</html>

After naming your homepage as index.html you will notice that the index.html contains the whole frameset (mainFrame & NavBar). For this reason, you must use the <target="_parent"> otherwise the navigation bar will reappear in you main frame too.

Does this make any sense?

Ignore my 1st response, I think it has a few errors!

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?