HTC Desire Internet Settings

marchomsey 20:48 09 Jan 2011

I have successfully connected to my College's Wi-Fi network. However, to access the internet the LAN settings have to be changed and each user has to enter a username and password. I can't see an option for doing this on the HTC Desire. On a PC it would be simple enough to go to Internet Options and then change the LAN settings. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance!

Nontek 21:30 09 Jan 2011

This might point you in the right direction .... from the Home Screen, press Menu then tap Settings>Wireless & Networks. Tap Mobile Networks>Access Point Names. On the APNS screen Press Menu then tap New APN. On the Edit access point screen, enter the APN settings, tap the APN setting item to edit it - then press Menu and tap Save.

To check the Data Connection you are using - From the Home screen Press Menu, then tap Settings>Wireless & Networks. Tap Mobile networks>Network Operators or Access Point Names.

I have the Wildfire which is only slightly different I believe.

marchomsey 21:46 09 Jan 2011

Thanks for your reply. It's helpful, but I'm pretty clueless about what to put in most of the fields...

I know what to put in the Proxy, Port, Unsername and Password boxes, but I don't know what to put in the other ones. The name of our wireless network is WIFI-VEC - does that go in the 'Name' box or 'APN'? And what bout the other boxes? I'm still not connecting to the internet.

Nontek 09:28 10 Jan 2011

According to my Quick Start Guide connecting to the Internet is simple - "When you turn your phone on for the first time (with sim-card inserted) it should connect automatically to your mobile operators data service." You could then check as per my earlier suggesting to see which data service you are connected to.

Mine does connect that easily, but this may be because I have already downloaded and installed the Apps which I use most frequently, i.e. Google Earth with Street View and Navigation. Perhaps you should have a look through all the Apps to discover which you might need to download/install, for your own purposes.

I only found out initially via 'trial-and-error' ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?