HP5187 keyboard problem

BigRik 19:43 18 Feb 2006

Hi again!

both the left and right hand side shift keys are not doing what they should be. when pressed in combo with another key, the left hand shift opens a help screen in the top left hand corner and changes the current ie page to yahoo mail page; the right hand side when in combo produces a few other symbols and then the one u want. in both cases, the hdd also lets out a 3 second beep noise in both cases.

the keyboard apparently worked ok for 2 weeks from new, then this problem for the last 2.

settings are already for uk.

any ideas please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 18 Feb 2006

Scan for spyware.

and do you have "sticky keys" activated?

BigRik 20:00 18 Feb 2006

have scanned for spyware and sticky keys are not enabled. thanks fruit bat.

BigRik 20:02 18 Feb 2006

i'm beginning to think the keyboard may have simply failed. its only a month old, but not impossible i spose.

BigRik 13:07 20 Feb 2006

Right. I'm back at home on my own keyboard now!

I can't seem to find the solution to this problem, so she's decided to just get the keyboard changed.

The keyboard, monitor and HDD all came in one box and was bought from Comet in November as a Xmas present for her son. They did not set everything up until January. As in my first post, the keyboard was fine for the first couple of weeks, then the shift keys started to act as described.

She phoned the store (in Birmingham) and they have said she should take it up with HP, but are Comet not responsible for proving the fault was not inherent within the first 6 months of purchase?

As it came packaged with everything else, and the shop has a change of heart and says they will change it, can they ask for the whole lot back or should they just be able to swap the keyboard? I've a feeling this may be up to the supplier.

She's hoping to get this sorted on Wednesday, so any quick help is received with much thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone