Hp Scanner output resolution

awest3 18:17 24 Nov 2009

Background: I recently bought an HP6830 wifi printer for use in a different room to where my PC is situated. I downloaded the software onto my existing PC (dell insipron 520s) as well as a dell dimension 5000 (the intended principal user of the printer). This meant I could use either printer.
Issue: The downloaded software (HP solution 12) updated the scanner software on both PC's.
I now find that I cannot save a scanned photo at the resolution indicated by the a scanned picture. If I scan a picture and it says its a 3.4 meg file when I save it it becomes 981kb, thereby losing resolution. I've tried it with Picasa, Word, excel, powerpoint and Irfanview with the same result. From this I presume its something to do with the new scanner software (I was able to save full files with the previous version).

Anyone got any ideas on a solution..I've been through all the scan menus and help files and can't find any mention of it.

Al

woodchip 23:04 24 Nov 2009

Sounds like it compressing the file Open the file photo then see how big the picture is. Are they being saved as jpeg?

awest3 08:46 25 Nov 2009

yes being saved as Jpeg. I thought there must be some compression factor in the scanner softwrae but can't find any..when I open the file it shows as 981kb rather than the 3.4meg indicated during the scan..

woodchip 15:08 25 Nov 2009

Jpeg is a Compressed File Format

awest3 16:31 25 Nov 2009

yes I understand that...been doing photos for quite a few years now....my point is that prior to the new software I could save it in Jpeg format at the size shown by the scanner....this now appears not to happen...I think I will have to re-install the old software and use that..

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?