HP Scanjet 5300C set-up problems

twitcher 15:57 23 May 2007

A friend of mine has a HP Scanjet 5300C scanner which has worked successfully for a number of years with his Compaq computer via a parallel cable. He has now purchased a new Compaq computer running Windows Vista but with no parallel port. Although the scanner has the option to run via a USB connection he has had difficulty setting the scanner up to run on his new computer. He emailed me as follows:-

“When installing the software the disk will only allow me to choose the parallel cable and asks me to discard the USB connection (which I ignored as there is only a USB connection on the PC).

When I try to access the HP Precision Scan icon I receive the message "Sorry cannot access your scanner. Your scanner is currently being accessed by another application. Please wait until the other application is finished or close it to allow HP Precision scan access.
Do you want to run HP Precision Scan without the scanner?"

Obviously this message does not make sense because no other programs are running.”

Has anybody any idea what is causing the problem?

jack 16:12 23 May 2007

You wrote
A friend of mine has a HP Scanjet 5300C scanner which has worked successfully for a number of years with his Compaq computer via a parallel cable
-------------------o0o-------------------
What operating system was that?
When XP came in many scanners previously running on 98 would not run on XP.
This is/was because a scanner has a processor that looks after thing like DPI the scanner tracking CCD and so on and in this case was looking for DOS commands from the computer, which was sending NTFS
and the two did not get on.
Certain later scanners were dual capable but not many include those made by Mustek for example.
There have been comments on certain peripheral manufacturers digging in their heel over turning out Vista conversion software
Is this the thin end of the wedge?
no is this scenarios happening allover with the transition from XP to Vista I Wonder?

twitcher 23:40 23 May 2007

Thanks for that Jack. His computer was running Windows 98 so what you describe could well be the problem. Does this mean he'll have to buy a new scanner?

jack 08:24 24 May 2007

Getting a new scanner solves the problem

Noels 08:33 24 May 2007

I have the same scanner and have had no problems but have had to go to the HP web-site on several occassiond to download the latest drivers. Your friend might try the same.

Regards Noels

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone