HP Scanjet 3400c Problems with Windows XP SP2

Jake_027 00:49 26 Nov 2006

My friend has the above scanner and when it is plugged in (via USB) the hardware wizard finds it and says it is ready to use. However, HP's own software says "Sorry, scanner could not be initialized. (An error has occured communicating with the scanner.)" and when I tried to load the scanner and camera wizard in windows it just said the device was not ready and asked me to reinstall the device (which I did several times). I also tried downloading the most recent drivers off HP's website but it didn't help at all. It shows up as working properly in control panel and even passes the test under properties, and it also shows up as fine in device manager.

Any Suggestions?

Jake

Jake_027 19:54 26 Nov 2006

Help Anyone?

Stuartli 19:56 26 Nov 2006

Faulty USB cable?

Jake_027 19:58 26 Nov 2006

but surely Windows wouldn't see the scanner at all if this were the case, and it definately wouldn't pass the windows scanner test?

Could be though

Jake

rsinbad 20:15 26 Nov 2006

Hp ahhhhh just a pain ,I have a PCS 1200 series and have had nothing but trouble with the scanner like your freind uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times. Been in touch with HP with no joy, the only way for me to scan anything is to reinstall the software each time. The problem is that the software/ drivers are not compatible on the scanning side. Your not on your own with this problem time Hp need to get there act together,

Sorry this does not help you freinds situation try turning off the printer and on again see if that works failing that contact HP.

Jake_027 20:16 26 Nov 2006

Is there any way I could prove that it is a faulty cable and that it isn't a software error?

rsinbad 20:42 26 Nov 2006

If it shows up in the device manager usb is working

Jake_027 20:46 26 Nov 2006

Any ideas on what could be the problem then, like I said, windows reports it as working properly.

Jake

rsinbad 20:48 26 Nov 2006

are you sure you have the latest driver click here

puma22 20:51 26 Nov 2006

I have a PCS 1350 and after installing IE7 the scanner stopped working. I e-mailed HP who sent me some other software and it is now working OK. It might be worth contacting them.

anskyber 20:51 26 Nov 2006

Has it worked before? Has it stopped working since recent XP updates?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017