HP Printer on XP

Islandgirl 10:26 29 Jun 2003

I have just upgraded to XP and have a HP Deskjet 1220C Printer. I have downloaded the latest HP driver for this printer for XP and now get this message everytime I log on, but the printer still works
"The software you are installing "Printer" has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatability. Continuing your instalation of software may impair or destabalise the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommend that you stop this instalation now and contact the hardware vendorfor software that has been passed window logo testing. 'continue' 'stop instalation'

I click stop instalation and everything is fine, the pinter works ok and the print preview works ok, but this message comes up daily everytime I start the computer. When XP first installed windows driver was installed for this printer, but no print preview came up. What can I do to stop this message coming up. Thank you for any help you can give me. Joan

VoG II 10:36 29 Jun 2003

Click "Continue" and let it finish the installation. That should stop the messages.

Islandgirl 10:41 29 Jun 2003

Thank you for your reply VoG, but if I do click "continue" wont this impair or destabalize my computer as it says in the message. Joan
PS I am paranoid that I will get a blue screen like I used to in ME when I do something again the Windows suggestion.

VoG II 11:09 29 Jun 2003

I think that this dire warning simply means that the drivers have not been "signed" by Microsoft.

Personally I would install it but you might want to wait for another opinion.

You could also create a System Restore point before doing it so that you can roll-back if things go wrong (which I think is highly unlikely).

Megatyte 11:38 29 Jun 2003

VoG is quite correct. Finish the installation and everything should be fine. Incidentally, XP should automatically create a restore point whenever any new software is installed.

AH

Islandgirl 14:37 30 Jun 2003

Thank you all very much have now finished the installation and everything seems to be ok, except HP wont monitor ink level and usage for some reason. Thank you all again. Joan

Islandgirl 11:24 12 Jul 2003

I use XP and have a HP Deskjet 1220C Printer. I have downloaded the latest HP driver for this printer from the HP site but it now says "Printer is currently either off or capable of one-way comunication only" "unable to monitor LPT1" Does anyone know if this is perculiar to XP as it used to work very well in ME, or does anyone know a solution to this. Joan

Megatyte 12:29 12 Jul 2003

Try un-installing and re-installing. Its possible that it may be related to the interrupted installation earlier. Also try connecting with USB.

AH

mrdsgs 17:08 12 Jul 2003

i did it yesterday with xp pro new installation and 1220 C.

delete the current driver and "delete" the printer and physically disconnect it.

reboot

reconnect 1220C and xp pro will find it and install its own drivers. they work perfectly and give full options such as zoomsmart.

if you want to use the downloaded 1220c drivers, follow the above with "update printer driver" wizard and tel it where to look. (you will have to extract the downloaded files first.

good luck

mike

mrdsgs 17:10 12 Jul 2003

I installed from alegal disk and have since activated.

all works perfectly except "help and support". The files appear to be in the \help windows directory, but clicking on "help and support" or help in components like My computer has no effect.

i am baffled!

pleaee help

mike

Megatyte 17:21 12 Jul 2003

You'd do better starting a new thread for this, particularly as this one is marked as resolved.

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?