HP Printer repairs

freaky 21:51 28 Jan 2005

I have got an HP Deskjet 970CXi, excellent machine, it's about 3 years old now.

I replaced it with an HP Photosmart 7960, and gave the 970cxi to the wife.

My wife used it for a while and then found that the on/off button would not always work, eventually it would not switch on at all.

I took it to a local computer shop and they said there was something wrong with the power supply unit in the machine, and they could not repair it.

Can anyone recommend if: -

(a) It's worth bothering to repair.

(b) If so, who does repairs on HP printers.

Many thanks.

octal 22:12 28 Jan 2005

(a) It's worth bothering to repair. No not really, it could cost up to £60 to repair.

(b) If so, who does repairs on HP printers. Me, I have the lids off ours at work because we are electronic engineers, so its not a problem. Having said that we would probably not bother if it was a PSU, for the cost and hassle we would probably buy a new printer.

Totally-braindead 22:13 28 Jan 2005

If it is the power supply then I think theres only 2 economical options for repair, either find out the voltage and current output of the power supply and try to get one the same utilising the lead off the old one if required or try to get a second hand one from either a computer fair or perhaps a computer shop(the computer shop is pretty unlikely as even if he/she has one they'll want to sell you a new printer). If you try to get HP to fix it or replace the power supply it will probably be ridiculously expensive although you could always email them and ask how much. To be perfectly honest unless theres a person on the Forum who has an old power supply for this printer lying about its probably easier just getting a new printer. I mean you can buy a cheap printer for about £40. Unless of course someone else knows better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache