HP printer fails to install

awest3 14:56 31 Oct 2009

I've had a look to see if this problem has already been discussed nad cannot find anything in the helproom. Just bought a new wireless printer...installed it on my Vista PC no problems at all..tried to install on another XP machine and I'm getting a "network error 1316" after 20% or so of the install. I've googled it and found many solutions...MS and HP...tried quite a few (even down to re-installing windows installer). nothing seems to work. The actual error reports as a scan msi fault. Some solutions seem to suggest that I need to uninstall 'Office 2003'..? I've just taken an Acronis full back up so I can fiddle a little more deeply...It seems a last resort to take out office..any ideas..?

FreeCell 17:21 31 Oct 2009

Which model printer?

Presume that you have downloaded the XP drivers and software. I have a different HP photosmart printer/scanner(not wireless) but hard networked and installs okay on Vista and XP with the right drivers/software.

HP software seems to me to be unnecessarily large and cumbersome to install. The Vista and Windows 7 versions have HP Solution Centre as the main control but XP still has HP Director. (Even the latest (September 09) version I downloaded last weekend)

awest3 10:21 01 Nov 2009

Hi Thanks for this....the printer is the c6380.
I've solved my issues..! I used the MS installer cleanup utility first, to remove 'scan' from the installer then had to replace a file it had lost from the cab files on the PC...took about two days to sort this...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?