HP pavilion will not boot from cd

howard64 16:45 22 Aug 2010

I have the bsod on a pavilion 461.uk and am trying to do a factory restore using the 5 cd's bought from HP. Although the bios is set to boot from cd on all 3 entries it will not read the cd but goes straight to the xp home screen. Does anyone know how to force it to read the cd?

woodchip 16:59 22 Aug 2010

Try this, put number one CD in the Drive reboot and as its booting keep tapping F11

howard64 17:10 22 Aug 2010

I have tried this and it takes me into the normal bios setup which shows the cd as the only bootable device. I have also tried all other F keys. I will now try removing the battery and clearing the cmos.

woodchip 17:15 22 Aug 2010

PS its no good setting all three entry's to boot from CD It should be only the first one followed by Hard Drive. Try tapping F8 as it booting as on some PC's the Boot from CD can be in there in the list of entry's

howard64 17:40 22 Aug 2010

reset for cd as no. 1 hd as no.2 but still tries to boot from hard drive. F8 has no effect at all - resetting the cmos had no effect other than to lose the time and date setting.

woodchip 17:41 22 Aug 2010

F8 should take you to the Safe Mode etc screen try tapping F5

woodchip 17:45 22 Aug 2010

Check the list hear to see if it points you in the right direction click here

howard64 17:54 22 Aug 2010

I have now disconnected the hard drive and the hp restore disk no. 1 is being rejected as not being a system disk. I have tried this in the 2 built in cd/dvd drives and an external dvd drive.

woodchip 18:03 22 Aug 2010

Try with Last disc in set

howard64 19:02 22 Aug 2010

I have now tried with all disks in the set [5] and my own xp home cd which I know works. It looks as though I shall have to fit the hard drive as a slave in another pc and format it.

howard64 11:17 27 Aug 2010

for whatever reason the 2 drives, cd and dvd, would not read disks. Almost as a last step before taking the hard drive out I temporarely connected an old salvaged cd drive in place of the other two. Hitting F10 on startup got the hp restore disk read and acted on. After a complete factory restore and load of progs the pc is running and returned to its owner. Thanks for all the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires