HP Pavilion S3000 fails to boot

GBL 20:25 29 Dec 2010
Answered

My daughters PC an HP Pavilion S3000 slimline desktop has failed, there is power as the fan turns but nothing else happens, any sugestions as I need to recover the HDD.

woodchip 20:29 29 Dec 2010

PSU failed most likely

woodchip 20:29 29 Dec 2010

Is it still under warranty?

GBL 20:34 29 Dec 2010

I don't think it is still under warranty, I have read several things in the net and one was a failed Mainboard, is there a way of checking which iten has failed or is it a job for the Pro,s?

GBL 20:38 29 Dec 2010

She tells me today that it has been running slow for some time taking ages to boot up etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 30 Dec 2010

"any sugestions as I need to recover the HDD."

Place drive in another PC (set as slave if IDE drive) and extract files as required.

or place drive in and external caddy click here

Repair HP
PSU is most likely case judging from symptoms described a new PSU can be obtained quite cheapl and is not too hard to change

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

HP and compaq PSU problems guide
click here

GBL 17:07 30 Dec 2010
Answer

Thanks for all that, I have to get hold of an adapter as my PC is IDE and the faulty one SATA. Once I have that then hopefully as long as the HDD is OK then I should be able to recover the contents.
I have checked and the light on the PSU is on continuously as is the fan but there is no activity from the HDD, from what I have read other people seem to have had problems with the Mainboard.

However if the data can be recovered then a new PC is on the cards.
This PC is just over three years old, no real age.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone