HP Pavilion not finding wireless networks

Tijmen 08:45 28 Mar 2014

HP pavilion DV7-3120ed will not connect to wlan.

Contains Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter, when I go to network centre and hit adaptersettings (or something similar, my computer is in Dutch, so not sure about the exact English terminology) it tells me the adapter is active, although the HP wireless assistant tells me it is deactivated. HP assistant tells me to activate the adapter by using the switch on the laptop. problem is, the switch isn't working, it's supposed to be either amber or blue, depending on whether the wifi is on or off, but it's neither, it doesn't light up at all.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, I opened up the laptop (warranty expired anyways) to check if the button and wireless card were properly conected, which they are.

I know the Atheros cards are often regarded as rubbish, but it's the best I've got and until an hour or so ago it was working fine with this router. Other appliances, such as this laptop (HP compaq nc6320, running Ubuntu) and my smartphone (android) are connecting fine, but this is an older laptop and I need my Pavilion for work, as this laptop won't handle the necessary software, which is for Windows.

Someone told me to download driver version 9.2.0.444 from link but when I downloaded the driver on a different laptop and used a usb-stick to copy it to the pavilion laptop's desktop and had devicemanager search for updated driver software on the desktop, but it doesn't find anything.

When I doubleclick the executable for the driver I'm told it's not a valid Win32 application. I'm confused, as my system information says I have a 64-bit OS, so why would I need a Win32-application? 16x16_smiley-frustrated.gif

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

some specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi-adapter

HP Pavilion dv7-3120ed, about 3-4 years old

Driver: 8.0.0.172

Tijmen 09:34 28 Mar 2014

Hi Jock1e, thanks for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to help out :)

I was thinking about that myself, I was just hoping there'd be another solution.

Thanks!

If anyone has another idea, it'd still be appreciated!

onthelimit1 10:58 28 Mar 2014

I agree with Jock1e. I've spent ages trying to solve the same problem on a number of laptops. I now go straight for a dongle - my preferred one is the Edimax on the Amazon list - tiny but great performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires