HP Pavilion - help please!

David_LondonW 13:04 18 Jan 2008

1. We’ve got a HP Pavilion a460uk PC, which we bought in 2004. It has run generally well – until the last year or so.
2. During 2007 the PC ran very slowly on occasions, often after our son had been using it for online games or looking at Google Maps. This was usually alleviated by deleting temporary files. On one occasion in December it was especially bad and I ran CHKDISK. It did not indicate any disk errors.
3. In December 2007 the PC suddenly started to malfunction. The symptoms were:
a. Loud, apparently random beeps from the CPU (not the loudspeakers)
b. Displayed a message, in large type “Launching email”
c. Opened HP help windows, apparently at random
4. This would often happen in an uncontrollable way, making the PC unusable. The only way to deal with it was by shutting down the PC, which would take a long time because the PC was continually opening new windows.
5. We have Norton Antivirus, which is kept up to date, and ran a scan. This was clear.
6. We thought that this fault was connected with the keyboard because some of the things the PC was doing seemed to correspond with special HP buttons on the keyboard – eg the “Launching email” message with the email button and the opening of HP help windows with the help or HP button. The symptoms stopped when the keyboard was disconnected.
7. We contacted HP Support and got an email from them. Step 1 involved reconfiguring the keyboard button capability to “simple local file with label”. Step 2 involved downloading a software update from HP. Step 3 was (1) Click Start, Run; (2). Type MSCONFIG; (3) Click OK (4). Click STARTUP (5). Uncheck all the checkboxes except for: PS2, KBD, Hpsydrv, Igfxtray, HKcmd, RUNDLL32.dll.
8. Step 1 seemed to solve the problem until after New Year when it recurred. I carried out step 1 again but the button configuration seemed to be reverting automatically to “Default”. I carried out step 2 but this did not seem to make any difference. I did not carry out step 3 because the list of programs to be retained did not correspond with programs on the PC’s list and I did not want to make the position worse.
9. This week the problem suddenly got much worse. The PC had deleted some shortcuts (including the Internet Explorer one) without any instruction. It was opening windows without any instruction, and it was not possible to control it.
10. After disconnecting the keyboard I did another system scan with Norton Antivirus. This was clear but it took a long time. In particular, some of the files early in the scan (I think root files, they did not have a drive letter).
11. After doing the scan I accessed HP help and looked and the page relating to keyboard problems. I followed the instructions and opened the Device Manager. This showed that there was no keyboard program installed – according to the help document this was because the program automatically uninstalled when I disconnected the keyboard.
12. The mouse was starting to malfunction. This had not happened before. When I tried to double left click an item on a menu (eg an icon in the Control Panel box) it would open that item but also all the preceding items. I tested the mouse on Word documents and the same thing happened. I eliminated the possibility that it might be a mechanical fault with the left click button on the mouse by reversing the left and right clicks but the same happened.
13. I went into Install Hardware on the Control Panel to reinstall the keyboard software (by right clicking the icon then left clicking “Open”). But before I could do anything I got a message that the Device Manager had closed, and that the Device Manager part of the hard disk was corrupt. Then the PC froze completely and it was impossible to operate the mouse. The only way to shut down the computer was to switch off the power.
14. When I turned on the PC it went into a blue screen saying “Entering set-up”, which changed very quickly (1-2 secs) to the BIOS set-up screen. This shows that a hard disk is detected. I’ve tried following the steps in the HP help document on startup problems, and I should be going to Recovery from the blue screen by pressing F10. But nothing happens: it just goes back into the BIOS set-up screen. Unfortunately I don’t have a recovery disk.
15. Has anyone please got any ideas on how to get restarted and working, and on what might have caused this problem?

johndrew 14:25 18 Jan 2008

I`m certainly no expert on PCs, but you may have bad connections to memory, HDD or other items. Whether these have corrupted data I couldn`t say.

If you feel confident, you could remove the battery, open the case and check all connections, re-seat the RAM and ensure the cooling ducts/fan are free of dust/dirt.

Another option would be to get a bootable CD click here to see if you can see the data on the HDD. You may also find these sites of help.

click here
click here
click here

And if all else fails and your PC was shipped without a recovery disk, I think there was a class action around 2004 because HP were not shipping these disks so a search on this may help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:23 18 Jan 2008

Looks as if you have some corrupted files maybe because the hard drive is starting to fail.

If BIOS sees the hard drive but it wont boot to windows then may be MBR of hard drive is corrupt or windows boot files corrupt.

Floppy drive fitted?
try booting with a floppy
It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc in XP on a good machine

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your bad computer with the floppy disc

woodchip 18:41 18 Jan 2008

have you tried a spare keyboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?