Hp Pavilion dv6001sa takes 5 minutes to start up, dvd drive not detected.

ferncs 21:27 12 Dec 2013

Hi there, The fan on my Hp Pavilion dv6001sa recently broke and I had to have it replaced. When I got it back the pc was slow and got slower until it took over 10 minutes to turn on and kept crashing. I reinstalled windows but had to pay someone else to install some other drivers as I had no internet access. The laptop still takes between 5-10 minutes to turn on and is VERY slow to detect anything in the USB ports and now the DVD/CD drive is not detected/working.

Before I reinstalled windows I did all the scans, defrags, and resets and tested my memory, no problems. I do not believe this is a software error.

I read something about hp pavilion dv6 series chipsets getting damaged if the laptop overheated. Please advise me if this is likely to be the problem and how simple it is to fix, or what else could be wrong with my laptop?

I do not want to buy a new laptop but neither do I want to pay a PC repair man another £40 or so to look at it and tell me that it can't be fixed/will cost loads.

woodchip 21:39 12 Dec 2013

I suggest you go to HP site and download relevant drivers for your PC and the Operating system its working on

click here

ferncs 21:55 12 Dec 2013

Hi woodchip. I have all the relevant HP drivers downloaded already including the dvd/cd driver. The cd/dvd drive does not appear when I put a cd in and it cannot be fixed by microsoft fix it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:11 12 Dec 2013

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes click here works for W7 Vista or XP click here manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Download or

rdave13 22:20 12 Dec 2013

Have you got your 'restore to factory discs burnt'? That's the first job. If so have you got a pal that can lend you a 2.5" drive that you can borrow. If so, replace the drive in the laptop, boot up, never mind the errors, put the recovery DVD no.1 in the CD/DVD drive then hold the power button down for a shutdown. Power up again then it should boot from the DVD. Follow instructions.

You should be back to how it was first set up.

If everything is still slow and problematic it could be the thermal paste on the CPU cooling has deteriorated with the overheating. I can't delve into laptops, though I've tried, so I think it will be expensive to repair, even if not the 'paste' problem.

On the other hand if everything runs OK then possibly the mechanical side of the sata hard drive on the way out.

ferncs 22:57 12 Dec 2013

Fruitbat, I downloaded and ran the file but it made no difference. I forgot to mention I have already tried the registry fixes but there are no upper or lower filter values there to delete.

rdave 13 I've already restored to factory settings twice and reinstalled windows. Thanks for the mention of the thermal paste and hard drive.

rdave13 23:05 12 Dec 2013

rdave 13 I've already restored to factory settings twice and reinstalled windows. Thanks for the mention of the thermal paste and hard drive.

..and tried a new or borrowed hard drive as I suggested?

Do you read posts as written or as you think they should be written.

It's a way of eliminating what could be wrong in the cheapest way. If the hard drive is ok then it will cost. If the mechanical side of the hard drive is iffy then try another drive so long as you've burnt your factory reset medium. I'm trying to help but you're not listening.

ferncs 23:39 12 Dec 2013

sorry its getting very late here I misunderstood when I read the post I though you were just talking about factory settings not replacing the hard drive...

I cannot get the back off the laptop properly to replace the hard drive, I can get the screws out but I have to apply too much force to not run the risk of breaking something. regardless I don't have access to a hard drive to replace my current one.

I appreciate that you are trying to help but please don't be rude I simply misunderstood.

rdave13 23:58 12 Dec 2013

'Rude'.. where do you get that idea? Exasperated maybe. You do not get the back off the laptop but just get off the hard drive compartment.

If you name the laptop's manufacturer, operating system, age of, then we might help further. The hard drive in a laptop, in the UK is usually 2.5" sata. Not too expensive really. That is why I mentioned if you had a friend that you could borrow one just for a trial. Lord knows I have a few 80Gig redundant ones.

rdave13 00:03 13 Dec 2013

I must add, have you created the factory restore discs or USB flash return to factory restore medium/s, otherwise I would wait before trying any other repair advice.

woodchip 10:44 13 Dec 2013

You should not need the back off just for the Hard Drive, look for a plate on the bottom as also ram normally under a plate.

Could it be that your DVD as not got Sata Drivers loaded for it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone