HP Pavilion dv6000 Help !!!!

bhubiz 01:16 12 Mar 2008

hi
i own a hp pavilion dv6299ea special edition (white).
it is a 120gb memory notebook. It has two partition c drive with 110gb and another one with 10bg called d:HP_RECOVERY.

I have noticed that my laptop (C drive) is becoming full. I only have 20gb od music and 10gb of photos and not much software installed. I donlt know why it is so full. I want to delete everything and want to restore back to factory setting with all my free space. Is there anyway of getting it back to the way it was when i forst bought it??? can i format the c drive and install Vista again from the HP_recovery???? if i can how do i go on about it ?

thank you

Acx 02:00 12 Mar 2008

120gb:- That not too bad!

What is it full of?

Games? Photos? Programs?

First try uninstalling/moving saved things from your C: drive.

Get an external hard drive and store on that.

Don't reformat:- you need the recovery part of the C: drive for your recovery disks to work!

bhubiz 02:06 12 Mar 2008

i just got an external drive 250gb..... and moved all my documents, pictures, movies and music.
i have got no games. and the programs i installed aren;t that much to occupy that much space.
i just need to make it as new. and do i need a recovery disk??? cause my laptop didn;t come with one .....it just came with the partitioned d drive called HP_RECOVERY

Acx 02:22 12 Mar 2008

Honestly I will have to look this up (HP wise), but I can see no way that you can restore with out the recovery disks (they access the recovery partition) or if you have bought a full windows CD .

You may be able to get them from HP. Is is a new computer or did you get it second hand?

bhubiz 02:27 12 Mar 2008

second hand .......................

bhubiz 02:40 12 Mar 2008

Acx..... thanks for ur help ... i think i got it

check it out
click here

Acx 02:40 12 Mar 2008

I would phone HP and explain the situation (be nice its amazing what you can get when you are).

In the mean time go to contol panal add/remove progams, in the top right hand corner it says sort by (select by size) - remove any programs that appear in the top 10 that you dont use.

What operating system? XP?

Acx 02:50 12 Mar 2008

It may work but it says

Only one set of Recovery Disks can be created, and the disks are specific to individual PCs

But try it and see, if it doesnt work, it could be that the disk have been created once.

Acx 03:08 12 Mar 2008

Let me know if you sort it! hope you do.

Arc hie 10:03 12 Mar 2008

hit F11 on boot up, it will then format. Windows and your drivers are on the D:/ drive

Zak 10:12 21 Mar 2008

In any case I think that you should stick with the original set up and not remove the drive D partition. There may well now be files there saved in error

Please have a read here and hopefully it will help to solve your problem.

If all files appear to be correctly there then I suggest you post asking for someone with same laptop and same drive capacity to let you know the size of their drive D partition.

click here

Also:

click here

and

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone