HP Pavilion Desktop - Keeps beeping - no bootup

JohnR08 13:32 28 Aug 2007

I wonder if anyone can help?
I've got an HP Pavilion 734.uk desktop bought approx 4 years ago using Windows XP.
The system locked up the other day when loading an application and I couldn't shut it down in the normal way so I had to press the power button on the front of the tower to shut it down.
This went OK until I tried to start it up again. Nothing came up on the screen and the tower emits a long interupted beep (5 seconds on 3 seconds off). This must mean something, but I can't find out what. Anyone have a similar exerience??
By the way, HP have offered to fix it for a standard £199.00 fee ......eeeekkk!!!
Thanks
John

Diemmess 13:51 28 Aug 2007

One simple check if you can open the box (switch off first) -

Reseat, or least make certain the video card is firmly mounted, and its data cable properly connected.

Quiet Life 15:11 28 Aug 2007

One long beep repeated is usually associated with a memory fault. If you have two sticks take out one at a time or try a known good module.
For some reason the long single repeated bios beep is not documented.

JohnR08 15:47 28 Aug 2007

Hi guys. Thanks for the advice.
HP also came back with a list of things to do.
I've been through these including your suggestions. I actually got it working (after I'd cleared about 3 years of dust from the fans!!), but it flashed on screen CPU fan failure even though it was spinning. Anyway it's died again now so I'll start again.
Keep coming with the suggestions.

JohnR08 16:40 28 Aug 2007

Further advice direct from HP suggests that the CPU fan is at fault....even though it's spinning, it isn't spinning fast enough (ah that'll be because of all the dust etc.!!). What I need to know now is do I have to replace it with a like for like HP fan or can I use a suitable similar model?

Diemmess 17:05 28 Aug 2007

Match any make of replacement fan to the processor or particularly to its heatsink.
The actual name and model of the CPU
e.g. AMDxxx or Intelxxx
Suitable fans are very cheap.

However since this fault occurs soon after switch-on there hasn't been time for overheating, and unless the motherboard has some electrical means of assessing the fan performance it may not be this at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?