HP Pavilion on boot gives "Warning! Processor -

Giggle n' Bits 21:01 28 Sep 2004

Warning! Processor Fan Failed, Contact service engineer imediatley.

Thing is the fan is spinning in the PC, there is not a HSF just a Heatsink. There is one of them Exhaust devices and the end has a 8cm rear internal case fan.

Its not the BIOS, accoring to HP Forum.

Seems theres no answer there that can resolve this probem.

Has anyone come accros this problem on there HP Pavilion.

Gongoozler 21:13 28 Sep 2004

Not that I know anything about HP Pavilions, but I'll have a go!

Can you tell us what version of HP Pavilion and what version of Windows you have. There are many models of the Pavilion, and the model number will probably help someone come up with the right answer. At what stage of the boot sequence do you get the warning? If it's before Windows starts up, then it has to be a BIOS setting. If the message is after Windows starts, do you have a hardware monitoring utility installed?

VoG II 21:22 28 Sep 2004

Not that I know anything about hardware at all but could it be that the fan speed signal cable to the motherboard is faulty/disconnected?

Gongoozler 21:28 28 Sep 2004

VoG™. As I understand from Blue~Notes posting, there's no fan, just a heatsink cooled by the case fan. It must therefore be an old system, probably Pentium 1. I think something is getting confused by the absence of a fan signal.

PorkChop'UK 21:29 28 Sep 2004

I own a pavillion 461.uk and had this problem when upgrading my processor/cooler & heatsink.
It occured on boot-up and would shut down in 5 seconds with the same error report.The new fan worked fine it just rejected it for some reason,like mentioned probably a faulty signal reporting the fan not working.
I changed the fan and all is ok now.

Giggle n' Bits 00:22 29 Sep 2004

The CPU is a AMD Duron 800MHz.

There is a Rear 8cm case cooling fan with a plastic Exhaust routing down to the Heatsink over the processor. As some may be aware the HP's are spaghetti junction & veyr Claustraphobic inside. So the New 8cm cooling fan seems to be doing the job.

This problem can happen from cold. You switch the pc on it shows the HP Sceen and then a black screen with the error message and just powers off.

Seems to me that is not a overheating of the Duron core cos of the time it occurs and this is a Intermitnant/random problem.

Also I have noticed the Primary Master has a 40Pin cable on with DVD as master & HDD Master Slave, the Seconday is connected to a ATA100 (80pin) Ribbon to a CD Wrtr. Surely this is wrong.

Its not my PC, and she had it taken to a shop where they had suppose to had fixed it by cleaning out dust and changin the 8cm cooling fan.

I have offered to try and sus the problem out as I have the PCA forum and all you guys to help.

Thanks M8 VoG & Gongoozler

Interesting problem and probably one thats a needle in a haystack.

Gongoozler 09:50 29 Sep 2004

Hi Blue~Note. From your description this has to be a BIOS setting. Unfortunately HP have their own way of doing things, so I can't check on the BIOS settings for this computer. Often BIOS will have a sub-menu with a title like "PC Heath Status", and under this menu there may be a setting for CPU fan speed. If you have no CPU fan, then this item should be disabled.

You say that the problem can't be due to overheating, and although I agree that it's very unlikely, an Athlon or Duron without a properly fitted heatsink can burn out in seconds. I don't think that's the problem here because if the heatsink isn't making proper contact it wouldn't result in an intermittent problem, it would more likely be final!

It is certainly unusual to have the drives connected the way you say, but as I said earlier, HP have their own way of doing things.

Next time the computer is switched on, press wahtever key is needed to get into BIOS setup and look for a Health Status or Monitor sub-menu and look for a temperature monitor to see if you can find the CPU temperature.

Giggle n' Bits 09:56 29 Sep 2004

thanks Gongoozler. Morning Coffee !

JonnyTub 10:06 29 Sep 2004

i've come across this type of problem before although it wasn't an hp so therefore may not be your solution, i replaced a variable speed fan (3 prong) in a friends pc not so long ago with a non variable speed one (2 prong) the bios complained like mad about not being able to control the fan speed (or something) and so wouldn't boot at all, needless to say the fan was replaced again and all worked fine, the friend's mobo was an obscure make though and i'm sure most mobo's are happy these days doing what i had done in the first place.

Giggle n' Bits 10:23 29 Sep 2004

I build all my customers machines on.
When you say 3 or 2 prong JonnyTub I take it you mean the molex power connector which plugs onto Sys Fan or CPU Fan on motherboard.

Interesting point and now on Fan No. 4

JonnyTub 10:28 29 Sep 2004

yes sorry for leaving that out, although you say your on fan 4 i doubt it to be a fan problem, have you tried removing the fan altogether and booting, being a case fan it shouldn't complain too much. Also the previous fan might have been plugged into the cpu fan power socket (closest to cpu) and now it's not and that's what the bios is complaining about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?