HP Pav Desktop PC- Should I restore/recover to original settings?

buel 17:27 16 May 2014

Hi all, I have just bought a second hand old desktop XP HP Pavilion 473 for my friend who's PC has died (I have another thread on that). It seems to run fine although very slow to leave the blue 'HP' screen at start up. My question is, it has a recovery partition. Should/can I use it to restore the PC to it's original settings? Would I lose anything (other than added on programs and any data stored)by doing this please?

Thank you in advance.

rdave13 17:53 16 May 2014

If it is that old then updating the Microsoft updates will take some considerable time. Although SP 3 is available for download, click here, and similar for SP 2 if you search. I don't know if the other updates will still be available via Windows updates on XP.

If not you would have to run Belarc, that program shows all the missing updates, then use Google to manually download them, a few at a time, and install. Could take a while.

buel 18:08 16 May 2014

Hmmm...I see. However, I think I have the SPs on disc somewhere. So would using the recovery partition to restore have ANY negatives other than needing to install SP 1, 2 and 3?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 16 May 2014

No

Positive is it should get rid of the junk build up and should run faster.

Can you use the memory / HDD from the old machine to improve the new one?

buel 18:29 16 May 2014

Could do as this one is has only 512mb.....however, I may leave the RAM increase to my brother. I am hoping to replace the HD on the other (old) machine as it would seem that that is the problem.)

Please can I ask for some of your preferred instructions to restore this HP, please? PS- Don't you get tired of always helping, FB?

rdave13 18:30 16 May 2014

With an older machine who knows? I would certainly make a clone of the drive first before trying to restore to factory settings. Always make a backup in case of a disaster. That way all your documents, programs etc will be saved.

rdave13 18:35 16 May 2014

User guide , PDF.

rdave13 18:42 16 May 2014

"To start System Recovery: 1Disconnect all peripheral devices from the PC except the monitor, the keyboard, and the mouse. 2Do one of the following: If the computer responds: click Start on the taskbar, choose All Programs, choose Hewlett-Packard, choose hp pavilion pc tools, and click hp pc system recovery. Continue with step 5. Or If the computer does not respond, press and hold the On button until the computer turns off. Continue with step 3. 3Wait a few seconds and then press the On button to turn the computer on.

4During the startup, do the following to enter the System Recovery program: When the blue screen with the HP Invent logo appears, press the F10 key on the keyboard. (You have only a few seconds to press the F10 key before the normal startup process continues.) 5Wait until the System Recovery box appears asking Do you really want to start HP PC System Recovery? 6Click Yes to continue with the recovery process. 7Follow the onscreen instructions. 8Complete the computer startup, and finish the registration process. Then reconnect all peripheral devices."

From the PDF manual.

buel 21:24 16 May 2014

Wow!! Thank you so very much for that. It is working.....

buel 21:56 16 May 2014

Grrr......I have installed my Edimax wireless 11n USB using the driver disc that came with it and the wireless LAN utility window is up but it just wont find any networks (there are plenty and this computer I am typing on is connected by it)

Any ideas, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:49 16 May 2014

use the windows wireless network instead

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?