hp omnibook 4150 - 2 queries.

gizzyx 20:41 11 Oct 2003

a young student friend of mine has just bought a 2nd hand laptop as above for her college work. it came full of the usual clutter, junk files, progs etc, and has asked me to clean it up for her.

plan A was to reformat and re-install windows 98.

although i am familiar with doing this on a desktop pc, theres something i can'tget my head round before i begin. the floppy drive and cd drive share the same bay and have to be swapped over. if i put the boot floppy in, reformat and then need to change the drives over, i have to switch off the pc. surely this will remove the "virtual drive D:". so how do i get to install the operating system? the handbook she got with the m/c says the instructions to do this are on click here but i cannot find anything. {she doesn't have a recovery disc or anything}.

second problem is, i tried to go into the bios and it is password protected. the guy she bought it of doesn't remember the password. the handbook says contact hp support for instructions if the password is forgotten, but i feel sure you excellent chaps will be able to help me.

thanx in advance.

gizzyx 21:22 11 Oct 2003

bump

gizzyx 22:17 11 Oct 2003

can anyone help?

gizzyx 00:29 12 Oct 2003

bump, bump, bump.

tell 02:37 12 Oct 2003

I would try to get my hands on an external drive (floppy or cd) if I were you, see if you can find some one who has one that will fit, other than that I saw laptop to ide cables on ebay I think about 4 quid, you could use to connect to pc do things that way. good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?