HP OMNIBOOK 2100 ...... Can it run XP?

woger_wabbit 12:09 12 Nov 2007

I have aquired an old HP Omnibook which is currently running Windows 98.

It has only 48 Mb Ram and a 3.2 Gb hard drive

I think the processor is an Intel 266

Is there any way of upgrading this PC so that it can run XP? Or is there some other OS that can be loaded?

Thanks

Grantrh 12:46 12 Nov 2007

Forget XP with your PC specifications.
Do you have windows 98SE ?(second edition) if you don't it might be useful getting Millennium edition.
Might be difficult to get hold of now though - someone on Ebay might have it.

brundle 13:43 12 Nov 2007

Don't bother with Millennium either, just 98 with added bugs. If it's not 98 Second Edition you might want to track down a copy of that, otherwise run something like PuppyLinux. click here

woger_wabbit 09:49 15 Nov 2007

I have now obtained a copy of Windows 98 SE for this old machine, and formated the disk, as the setup from within windows wouldn't accept the new OS .... it isn't an upgrade version.

Problem is that the PC can hold either a 1.44 floppy OR a CD drive ..... not both at the same time !!

The CD will not boot directly. If I boot from the floppy and ask for CDROM support, this fails as the CD is not mounted. Hmmmmmm predicament!!

Any suggestions please ..... Thanks in advance

dan111 09:59 15 Nov 2007

win98 SE should load from the cdrom drive. set the first boot device to cdrom and the second boot device to hard drive.

You should get the option to load the cdrom drivers as it stsrts to load.

woger_wabbit 10:13 15 Nov 2007

Dan,

I just checked and the CDROM is set for 1st boot device ..... however I get 'Invalid system disk' when trying to boot ..... very odd !!

woger_wabbit 10:17 15 Nov 2007

.... even more confusing is that I just put the CD into my XP machine and the autorun worked perfectly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?