HP NC6400 connection

kimtrnc 05:44 12 Jul 2009

I live out of UK and my internet connection is 3g via a local provider.
I have a Globe surfer 3g router. This works well, both for my desktop (the host, if you like) and my Acer laptop, which sees and connects wirelessly to the routerwith no problem at all.

BUT...my absolute technophobe husband decided after xxxx years that he wanted a laptop of his own (I suspect the onset of senility, given his VAST previous hatred of computers!)

We bought him the above HP laptop,which he has handled amazingly well, considering - but we cannot persuade the HP to see the router at all. wireless light is on, but that seems to be all. Anyone help, please? The HP Network Assistant won't work because it wants me to enable an ACTIVE X control.

Taff™ 08:22 12 Jul 2009

Enable the active x control - it is from a trusted source after all. Check too that the router is broadcasting it`s SSID (Network Name) and that you have the encrption key to hand.

kimtrnc 08:39 12 Jul 2009

Hi Taff - it doesn't tell me WHICH activeX control it is, nor how to install it!

Taff™ 13:36 12 Jul 2009

OK. Ignore the HP assistant for the moment. Just use the Vista connection. Here`s a handy guide showing the difference between XP and Vista when trying to connect to a wireless network. click here

kimtrnc 14:39 12 Jul 2009

Hi again - as it happens I'm using XP, not Vista, on all three machines, but it is an interesting comparison. Not quite sure how it helps with my problem, which is that the HP does not "see" any wireless network.
My Acer saw and wirelessly connected to my router in a lot less time than it's taken to type this! The HP, though doesn't even SEE a connection, let alone connect to it. It came from the US - maybe some component is different? I could send you the spec if it would be helpful?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?