HP NC 8000 Xp Pro crash

Squirrel1 19:04 08 May 2008

I have a HP NC 8000 Notebook that was running Xp Pro, but has stopped booting and comes up with an error message "NTDLR is missing" Press CTR+ATL+DEL to Restart.
But it will not restart and will not boot from the CD even though the CD is first in the boot order.
It seems like XP has disabled the CD boot function somehow in the BIOS and now I cannot recover the computer.

Does anyone have any Ideas?????

Ditch999 20:55 08 May 2008

Are you sure it is an XP CD and not a HP CD? You need an XP Pro CD to boot it. Does it have a recovery function when it is starting up like "press F2 to enter recovery" or something similar?

Ditch999 21:19 08 May 2008

Go in to the BIOS and disable Quickboot. Then it will boot from CD if it is first. This is from the HP website:
To attempt an operating system repair without deleting your personal data, use the Operating System CD that was shipped with the notebook:
1. Connect the notebook to external power and turn on the notebook.
2. Immediately insert the Operating System CD into the notebook.
3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn off the notebook.
4. Press the power button again to start the notebook.
5. When prompted, press any key to boot from the CD. After a few minutes, the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed.
6. Press enter to continue. A Licensing Agreement screen is displayed.
7. Press f8 to accept the agreement and continue. The Setup window is displayed.
8. Press R to repair the selected Windows installation. The repair process begins. This process may take 1–2 hours to complete.
The notebook restarts in Windows after the process is complete.
click here for the manual.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 08 May 2008

NTLDR Missing click here

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

Squirrel1 23:27 08 May 2008

Yes I have an Xp Pro CD and I have tried following the instructions kindly obtained by Ditch 999 and I have also looked at the info kindly pointed too by FruitBat, but Still no Success.....Oh..One sick computer!

Any more ideas?
Please.

woodchip 23:33 08 May 2008

Check this out click here

Ditch999 18:08 09 May 2008

Reading the manual I gave you the link to, it appears that you need to leave the BIOS at default settings to boot from CD. Read section 6-2. When it is like this it will boot from CD first.
Quote "On every boot, the system looks for bootable drive A devices first. If it fails to find a bootable drive A device, it searches for bootable drive C devices. Drive A devices include optical drives and diskette drives. Drive C devices include optical drives and primary hard drives."
This could also give you the NTLDR error ie if you have a disk in the CD or floppy drive it wont boot. Set the BIOS to defaults (hit F10 when starting up) and remove all media from drives then see if it boots.

Squirrel1 19:14 09 May 2008

I have tried all of the above but this dammn machine still will not do anything except display NTLDR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart....

Any more ideas???

Ditch999 23:03 09 May 2008

You really do need to get it to boot from CD or floppy. When (if) you do read this article and follow the steps to repair it.

Ditch999 11:42 10 May 2008

And the link I meant to post is this click here

Squirrel1 13:36 10 May 2008

Thank you every one and 'Ditch 999'.
The problem is as I suspected, seems something to do with the MBR being corrupted and because the machine I have does not have a floppy drive, I am unable to boot from floppy and recover the system.
No matter what I do the machine will not boot from the CD drive at all.
So I intend to remove the HDD from the computer and install it into a USB enclosure so I can connect it to my other PC. Then I can run restore the active partiton and reformat the drive and 'sys' the disc. Then reinstall the HDD back into the notebook and reinstall Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017