HP Lightscribe DVD640 - Hanging/crashing

User-B6270506-B0CF-413D-B0B5707623FBE39D 10:33 08 Aug 2005

I have just bought a HP DVD640 Lightscribe DVD writer which is causing my system to crash.

The unit is the external version which I installed and connected without problem. There was an initial problem getting the drive to work, so I went to the HP website and downloaded the latest firmware which has fixed all of the issues with writing and lightscribing.

The current problem is with reading discs. When I put a disc in the drive it is recognised by windows, if I open explorer and view the disc contents I can see and navigate my way through the folder structure. However when I try to open any files explorer hangs. Sometimes I get an “I/O timeout message” sometimes it just gets stuck. The disc eject button does not work when this happens and so the only way to stop the hang is to power off the drive, this sometimes results is a blue screen error and having to power off the whole system.

My system if a P4 2.66, 768mb ram, usb2.0 with no hardware conflicts, XP Pro Sp2 all windows updates are installed and it runs stable 100% of the time when this drive is not connected.

I should mention that I have tested loads of different discs in as many different ways as possible: CD-R and DVD+R write ok, won’t read, but read ok in my DVD ROM drive. Original Audio CDs and DVDs will not read in this unit although they are recognised and the files structure can be navigated.

I have also tested the unit on a second machine with the same results (AMD with Win XP home, USB 2 & Firewire). I have also tested connection using firewire with the same result.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem may be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I DOA this back to Ebuyer.

Thanks
John.

bump. Anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?