HP Laserjet 1100 Printer

K*B 18:53 16 Mar 2011

I redesigned my letterhead and printed copies of it on A4 paper, this time using the header and footer facility in MS WORD 2007. I would do a letter on my Win98SE pc, slot a hardcopy letterhead into my HP Laserjet 1100 printer and print the letter out. Yesterday I did this using the redesigned letterhead, and the letter printed alright. However I noticed that after printing, the text which had been in the top part of the letterhead (the header area) had appeared faintly in the background of the body of the letter. Strange, because the letterhead had been designed and printed using another printer and there is no software relationship between the hardcopy letterhead and the letter which was typed on the Win98SE pc and printed on the HP Laserjet 1100 printer! I reprinted the letter using the old letterhead and this problem did not occur. I used the new letterhead to print a letter on another printer and the problem did not occur. Again I printed the letter on the new letterhead using the Win98SE pc and HP Laserjet 1100 printer and the problem recurred! What's up guys? Any HP Laserjet experts out there with a solution? Thanx.

PalaeoBill 22:54 16 Mar 2011

I suspect your getting ink transfer from the letterhead into the inner workings of your HP laserjet. Possibly via the transfer roller.
It could be that the ink your letterhead has been printed with is not sufficiently heat resistant to prevent it transferring to the internal components of your HP laserjet. It needs to be able to cope with a good 200 degrees.
It may also be due to a reaction between the letterhead ink and the resin in the HP toner.

K*B 06:35 17 Mar 2011

Thanks PalaeoBill for your great comments, I think they are very good clues indeed. The printer I used for designing and printing the new letterhead is an HP Color LaserJet CP1215 printer. Please confirm if the characteristics of this printer as you may know them from experience etc. match with your suspicions/clues as given above? Thanks. I await your response.

Taff™ 07:21 17 Mar 2011

PalaeoBill is spot on here. Inkjet inks will have ruined the drum in the laser printer because of the temperature that the drum works at.

SparkyJack 08:26 17 Mar 2011

The only other comment I have this seems to be a rather torturous way of going about things.
Would it not be better to have the 'Stationery' part of the documented[The letter head] saved as a template and loaded with each new document- which on completion 'Saved as' thus releasing the headed part[Template] back in its pristine form to the computer.

Woolwell 11:56 17 Mar 2011

The only snag with the replies so far is that it was a colour laserjet not an inkjet that produced the letter head. So the comments about inkjet inks are not right. However I still think PalaeoBill is right and SparkyJack's solution of a template is better but would not produce a colour letter head on the mono laser.

PalaeoBill 22:22 17 Mar 2011

Further to the offset problem. I don't know the specifics of the HP CP1215 but I do know of colour laser problems in general; from trying to refill cartridges with non-oem toner.
In all lasers the toner is 'fixed' by melting it onto the paper via a fuser/heated roller. The idea is to get all of the melted toner to stay on the paper and not be offset (where some sticks to the roller and transfers to the next page that comes through).
The composition of the toner needs to match the printer. Iron content determines how well it sticks to the statically charged drum. Melting point can be messed with by making the toner from things like wax or polypropylene (low melt point) or polyethylene (higher melt point). Put the wrong stuff in your printer and it will either just not work or worse trash the insides. Been there, done both.
My Ricoh uses a wax based toner that is fused at low temp compared to that of my old HP which has a plastic toner. I can put black print from the HP through the Ricoh no problem but not the other way around. The Ricoh toner smears all over the HP and it takes several blank pages to clear it. I don't know for sure but I suspect you have a similar problem.

K*B 07:30 18 Mar 2011

Thanks for all your generous comments and contributions, friends. I bought my HP Color LaserJet CP1215 printer from an HP Computers and Accessories shop, and all the toners I've used to replace ran-out/used-up toners in this printer, I have bought from this same shop/supplier so far. I have therefore assumed that all replacement toners used so far, including the set of toners currently in the printer are genuine. In any case, how do I determine which toners supplied are oem toners and which are non-oem toners? Please help me to resolve this problem and come out with a clear solution. Thanks in advance.

PalaeoBill 23:00 18 Mar 2011

Sorry K*B, I've not made myself clear.
I'm sure that your toners are OEM. Their OEM'ness (if that's a word) is not the point. It is the temperature that they are melted onto the paper at that becomes a problem (if its not the same on both printers).

I discovered, through using non-oem and supposedly 'universal' refils, that toners are not all the same. Printers can be specifically designed to use a particular type of toner. What is suitable for one printer is not necessarily suitable for another different printer.

In my case, my Ricoh printer melts and fixes its toner to the paper at a lower temperature than my HP printer does. Its been designed to do this and you can print a letter head, then pass the paper through it again and print on it without a problem.
What you can't do is take that letter head (that was printed on the Ricoh) and put it through the HP because the HP will re-melt the Ricoh's toner and transfer it to the roller where it makes a right mess of the next few pages that are printed.

K*B 17:45 19 Mar 2011

PalaeoBill, thanks very much for further explanation and clarification. I think I have a solution now. What I think I ought to do is print the letterhead on the HP Laserjet 1100 Printer, not the HP Color LaserJet CP1215 printer, and then use the same printer (HP Laserjet 1100 Printer) to print the main letter on the already printed letterhead and see what happens. Does this make sense? My only problem is that the HP LaserJet 1100 printer is attached to a standalone pc running Win98SE, and the flash drive I'll use to transfer the newly designed letterhead to the Win98SE pc is USB Flash II, for which Win98SE will need a driver. Can you link me to an appropriate driver? Thanks in advance.

PalaeoBill 21:13 19 Mar 2011

Have you not heard of Google?
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?