HP Laptop starts and then dies!

shaduf 12:52 27 Nov 2009

My two year old HP DV9340 laptop is in trouble.
I don’t use the laptop much and I decided to bring it up to date. I went on the net and it started to download Microsoft updates. This went on for more than two hours and thinking something was not working properly I tried to cancel and then switched off. I now believe it was in the middle of downloading Vista SP2. After that my trouble began.

After a few minutes use, thin black lines start to appear across the screen, gradually get worse and then the mouse fails to respond and the screen blacks out.
The only thing that revives it is to use the Restore to as bought facility on the D partition of the hard drive by pressing F11 as the machine attempts to start. The machine then works normally for a short time before the black lines start again and so on.
During the period when it does work I have been on the Nvidia website and updated the onboard graphics to the driver they recommend and sometimes I have kept it going for a couple of hours whilst I load software on to it. I also loaded about 20 gb of pictures on it and then did a defrag just to give it something to do but it didn’t complete that.
I have removed and replace the two memory sticks as suggested in the HP book but beyond that I am stumped.
I have tried restoring from the HP Recovery disc made at the time of initially setting up the laptop but the results are the same.

Any ideas please?

User-1229748 13:21 27 Nov 2009

have you tried external monitor?also found this click here

shaduf 19:46 27 Nov 2009

Good find "smackheadz" unfortunately my laptop was not on that list.
So far tonight I haven't got as far as getting it into Vista. Until I do I can't reroute the graphics output to my external monitor. It is plugged into it but no signs of life.

Thanks again.

Shaduf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?