HP Laptop hard to switch on,it switches off

prince midas 10:25 16 Sep 2009

My HP Laptop which is now 6 months old as always been difficult to switch on.
When I press rhe On power button I must hold it down for approx 6 secs.If I hold it down for 7 or 8 secs it swiches off.
If I old it down for 5 or less secs it switches off.Obviously the times are approx so I just count 1,2,3,4,5.6 and let go.It is a pain but is this a fault or just an accepted bug on the laptop.Should I live with it or send it back for repair which seems a drag.Comments please.

birdface 11:12 16 Sep 2009

It is still under warranty i would take it back for repair.
My granddaughter had problems with keys falling off of her laptop and they came and collected it and it was back within 5 days.Obviously your problems may take a bit longer, but no use putting up with your problem when you can get it fixed.

mooly 11:38 16 Sep 2009

If it's a case of just holding the button, and you are not physically pressing the switch and PCB (thinking intermitant connection, broken print etc) then it souunds like a software problem... BIOS maybe. Perhaps check with HP, sure they must have some online support available.

prince midas 13:47 17 Sep 2009

HP have sent me a new Bios update which appears to work.

mooly 17:25 17 Sep 2009

Excellent :)

woodchip 17:43 17 Sep 2009

Have you been in touch with HP? I have a HP Laptop and don't think you could find any firm as helpful

woodchip 17:45 17 Sep 2009

Starting is controlled by the BIOS and motherboard, So it could be a faulty board

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?