HP Laptop, graphics card, and UT3

zoonimal 00:25 22 Oct 2007

Greetings,

I've a HP Pavilion DV5000 (T2300 @ 1.66 GHz). I've upped the RAM to 2GB and replaced the HD as the majority of my work is either post-processing photos or creating music mixes.

After checking out the demo - I'm looking to play Unreal Tournament 3 with better graphics than what I can achieve at the moment.

My question is : Would I be better off just building another desktop to achieve this ? Last one I built was wrapped around a Sapphire Radeon 9800xt card - but that was years ago and I'm not too keen to go back to a desktop again.

Is it possible to replace the graphics card in my laptop ? Would this be compromised by the CPU ? If I can do this myself - what would you recommend parts-wise ?

I've no problems working on desktops - laptops are a different beast altogether... bit hesitant about getting in there without consulting you guys first.

Appreciate your help folks. Thanks.

Belatucadrus 10:51 22 Oct 2007

click here for last thread on this theme.

keef66 12:17 22 Oct 2007

forget your laptop for todays games.

Your options are:

a new high spec 'gaming' laptop; probably over a grand.

a new desktop with a decent graphics card (Nvidia 8800 or ATI 2900 based) prob £600-£800

An Xbox 360 or PS3

Sebire 12:30 22 Oct 2007

The HP Laptop's are brittish made and very robust, replacing the video card is complicated more by all the extra shock absorber's. I't would be easier for you too consider your options first.
Make sure you have the newest bios installed first. The pci e video card could be taken out but you will need an extensive set of computer tool's. But these can be brought extermely cheaply on ebay. And also this is too important to not stress, backup your hard drive - os and files. You'll get all the information you need from hp.com in the form of a .pdf which is the procedure.
May I give you some advice. If i still had my laptop which is like yours i wouldnt bother as it is much easyier to increase you laptop's performance by installing a solid state hard drive. Because in a laptop the only this that's holding that DDR2 RAM back is the FSB which is reached by the performance of one. If you deal directly with china you can get them fully guarenteed at a very good price even now. At present I'd recommend the SONY or Toshiba models. The write/read speeds are allmost infinately better.
And if sure you want to modify the graphic's card or replace it "whilst its open" - make a few alteractions to your inconectors to such as you spdif better your optical drive and motherboard. This helps too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017