HP Laptop desktop screen flashes on and off

Dazman5 14:06 16 Feb 2015

Hi all,

I've turned my laptop on this morning and encountered problems with the desktop screen flashing on and off every few seconds after boot-up. After signing in with my Microsoft account, I reach the desktop screen and I'm unable to perform any tasks.

When I shut down my laptop last time, it gave me the option to "Shut down and update', which I did, so I'm assuming that has caused the problems. I've read a few things that there may be compatibility issues of some sort, but no solution on how to fix the problem. Does anyone have ideas what to do next?

I've tried pressing F8 and Shift+F8 during boot up to try to activate safe mode but nothing happens. What did happen though during both boot up and on desktop is when pressing F8, I was able to increase the volume.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion 15-g094sa. The laptop is only a few months old, it has Norton 360 as its virus protection program and only Google Chrome and a football game have been installed since purchase. (The Internet has only ever been used once on there).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

northumbria61 14:24 16 Feb 2015

Try F2

Dazman5 14:35 16 Feb 2015

Thanks for the reply Northumbria61.

Before I read your message, I followed these set of instructions and it appears to have done the trick. (It did say "not recommended" when selecting 'Never check for solutions' though...

turn computer off and back on again when you get to the login screen, do not login click on the power icon in the bottom right of the screen hold the shift key and select restart select the Troubleshoot option select advanced options select startup settings click restart

select option 4 - safemode

login as normal open control pannel (press windows+c, click search, type control) in the top right there is a search box, type the word report select "Choose how to report problems" click on option to "Change setting for all users" change option to "Never check for solutions" click OK and OK again restart computer

Should everything remain ok using that method?

Thanks.

northumbria61 14:46 16 Feb 2015

Appears to have worked for you - see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone