hp crashed wont start

nonowtatall 22:55 23 Jul 2009

my hp pavlilion crashed on while i was playing a game on the internet i have tried all the different things to reboot but what comes up is a message
windows root>\system 32\hal.dll
file missing
I dont have a disc as it is built into the computer so how do i add this missing file
I have a lot of stuff i need to save on the hard disc if i have to do a format
any ideas

Ex plorer 00:07 24 Jul 2009

This any help
click here

birdface 06:08 24 Jul 2009

I don't suppose it will start in safe mode will it.It is usually F8 you have to press when rebooting.If so Last good configuration or system restore.

Terry Brown 12:55 24 Jul 2009

Try this link for help
click here
Terry

nonowtatall 13:04 24 Jul 2009

Thanks buteman i will try that as soon as get home tonight
Hi Ex plorer that stuff looks good as i have error 3 but i dont have a cd rom as it is built in to the machine so i cant boot with that i will keep you informed as i go thanks

nonowtatall 19:30 24 Jul 2009

hi buteman no it wont start tried every one comes back to missing hal\dll every time
have tried the other methods but have no disc is it possible to download some sort of boot disc ?

Les28 20:30 24 Jul 2009

Since you don't have an XP disk maybe downloading and booting from the recovery console iso, RC.ISO from this page would help you to get into the recovery console and try the recovery console options mentioned on Terry Brown's link

click here

sharpamat 08:30 25 Jul 2009

presume from your post that you are running XP and you did not make a set of discs to restore to factory settings? its always advisable to give the basic information

I would suggest you run a full test on your system to ensure that the missing dll is the problem.When booting press F9 ( you have to be quick )

If you should need to restore to factory settings this is F11 on booting This will lose all the information you have on the drive ( provided the rester secion is intact )

Terry Brown 09:35 25 Jul 2009

Go into the BIOS and check the 'Boot' Harddrive is corectly set as the default drive, because if this is resetfor any reason(virus or non-standard shut down this can cause a Hal.dll problem.
Terry

Les28 09:45 25 Jul 2009

If you do download the rc.iso make sure you burn it to a cd as an image file, explained lower down on the same page as the rc.iso link I sent.
Then I'd work through the recovery console options in the Terry Brown link, quite often options 4 and 5 on that link are the cause of the message you're receiving. I'm assuming you're running XP?

nonowtatall 20:00 26 Jul 2009

Thanks les i am trying that now have made the boot disc will be in touch as i have to use someone else computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?