HP all-in-one wont accept new cartridge

Diemmess 17:34 02 Jul 2007

A friend has just telephoned me for help.
He has a HP PSC 950 which he says ........

Will not accept a genuine (and expensive) new HP cartridge even when switched on and not connected to the computer.

"I think" the error message says not a valid cartridge - or replace the cartridge.

It can normally work connected to the computer or alone, say for scanning and printing.

Is this a firmware problem which can be corrected by pressing some button before switching on switching on or some similar cunning plan?

Diemmess 18:52 02 Jul 2007

Asked him specifically for the error message.

He switches on, selects copy mode gets
"Remove and check colour cartridge"
He does this and it goes around full circle again.

Will not allow Black only printing, insists on -Check colour cartridge etc.

Diemmess 08:12 03 Jul 2007

?
Anyone help please?

Technotiger 08:25 03 Jul 2007

Hi, could simply be a faulty cartridge - try another one. I have had a similar thing with a brand new cartridge.

Diemmess 14:37 03 Jul 2007

Thanks Technotiger for the only response.

Friend phoned to share his delight at having fixed it.
He persisted in browsing the HP website for longer that I had, found the right help/support page, and tried the obvious.

He used a small damp swab and cleared a lot of dried ink from the printer's cartridge receiver.

Hey presto! He was so pleased because although no idiot or technophobe, I think this was the first time he had ever managed to clear a computer snag for himself

Technotiger 14:45 03 Jul 2007

Alls well that ends well then .... Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?