HP 1220C printer and Windows XP

TaffyTony 18:06 12 Apr 2003

Purchased the printer a while and it worked perfectly under Windows 98SE but, just before last Christmas, built myself a new PC with Windows XP as the operating system.

Printer works well enough except that there is no bi-directional communication, that is, no error messages etc..

Are there any third party patches (whatever) out there to remedy the problem.

HP seem quite indifferent about the problem which, for a pro-level printer, I find quite amazing.

Kind regrads to everyone.

Tony

recap 18:14 12 Apr 2003

If the printer is working OK then why are you looking for error messages?

TaffyTony 18:18 12 Apr 2003

Sorry, I didn't explain to well. Error messages are only part of the problem. Can't use any of the toolbox features either.

Regards

Tony

recap 18:32 12 Apr 2003

There may be a patch on the service pack 1 for XP.

or

click here as this may fix it, that is if you haven't alread tried it?

hope one of those helps?

TaffyTony 17:47 18 Apr 2003

Afraid not !

Still can't get the toolbox.

Tony

-pops- 18:01 18 Apr 2003

Try new software:-

click here

Brian

jon2 19:19 18 Apr 2003

you have to download the new driver for xp, allthough I have yet to get it to work, I use the driver that came with windows at the moment

-pops- 07:53 21 Apr 2003

Sorted?

TaffyTony 11:59 21 Apr 2003

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. I have been preparing annual accounts for the society of which I am treasurer. The last thing I wanted was to have my printer down should anything have gone pear shaped.

I downloaded and installed the file and can now access the printer services part of the toolbox. Printer status and information, however, still don't work due to lack of bi-directional communication. However, as far as I am concerned, the important part of the toolbox now works and, yes, the problem is now sorted.

Thanks very much for your help.

Kind regards

Tony

-pops- 13:12 21 Apr 2003

You could try re-seating the cables (printer <-> computer) or trying another cable if you can get hold of one. Also, there may be something in your printer software to enable/disable bidirectional whatevers. I remember an HP printer I had a long time ago wher there was something like that but I can't remember any detail.

Brian

TaffyTony 22:53 21 Apr 2003

Pops

I've e-mailed HP's Support facility. I will, hopefully, get an answer from them tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted. I've already tried an alternative USB cable.

Cheers

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone