How's this Dell laptop build?

Fawaz 08:40 09 Aug 2007

I'm getting a laptop for uni. I'm going to use it for gaming and study. Preferably I want it to last me 5 years (that's how long my course is) or if that's not really possible, then 3 years. My cost limit is about £2000, this is currently £1670.87

Inspiron XPS M1330

Processor- Intel Core Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 cache)
Memory- 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive- 200GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
Graphics Card- 128 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS
Optical Drive- Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load Drive, including SW

Battery- Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)
Monitor- White-LED Display (300 nits) with TrueLife & 0.3 mega pixel Camera (I could get a CCFL (220nits) with True Life & 2.0 mega pixel Camera, but I heard CCFL degrade faster)
Bluetooth- Dell TrueMobile 355 internal Bluetooth Module
Wireless- Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card

Things that I could change/upgrade/add are

Hard Drive- 32GB Solid State Drive (I don't know what this is)
Bluetooth- Dell Wireless 355 internal Bluetooth Module
Modem- External 56k V.90 Modem (USB)

Could anyone tell me how long this is going to last, when considering playing games at a reasonably good perfomances. Oh, and I'm studying medicine, so won't be wanting to do anything fancy on my laptop other than gaming and writing essays.

wee eddie 10:46 09 Aug 2007

Most of us will be drooling.

Ginge1980 12:01 09 Aug 2007

Nice system.. to be really picky see if you can get the graphics card up to 256mb. I use a Alienware laptop for my gaming.. click here ... Personal opinion they're the ultimate gaming computers and would recommend them, the one above is very similar to the spec you have selected fromm dell with increased perfomance from processor and grahics, you can customise to suit your budget/needs.

ambra4 12:18 09 Aug 2007

Hard Drive- 32GB Solid State Drive (I don't know what this is)

It the new type of hard drive no moving parts like a pen drive, if you changing from the 200GB to this don't as 32GB is to small, you would run out on space very quickly, if it a second drive to the 200GB fine

Why a external modem don't the laptop have a internal modem?

robbiepaul79 12:21 09 Aug 2007

Ambra4

click here

For information dont worry he will keep his 200GB :)

ambra4 12:23 09 Aug 2007

You would also find most uni have broadband and you would not use the external modem very often plus it a extra item to carry around

Jimmy14 12:34 09 Aug 2007

I would consider another laptop with at least 256mb dedicated graphics memory.

sean-278262 12:58 09 Aug 2007

Save your money and spend £1500 on a desktop that will last you the entire time you are at uni and spend £400-500 on a laptop for your portable needs.

Fawaz 13:08 09 Aug 2007

So the only thing really lacking is the graphics card? I'm guessing I can't upgrade this manually. right? Dell doesn't offer anything other than 128MB on this model of laptop. I'm going to be transporting my laptop around alot- arn't the alienware laptops big and bulky? (They are kind of ugly too)

How about this alienware one

m5550

Display: 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology - Saucer Silver
Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7600 2.33GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Graphics Processor : 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7600

Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 2048MB
System Drive: 200GB 7200 RPM SATA
CD/DVD/RW: 8x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24x CD-RW Combo with Nero Software
Sound Hardware: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with surround sound
Keypad: Mobile Keypad - English
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card
Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
Bluetooth: Belkin® Bluetooth™ USB Adapter

Thanks for the comments by the way! :D

sean-278262 13:13 09 Aug 2007

It depends on the price really as to if it is good value for money. Why do you "be transporting" your laptop around? When I started Uni I thought the same thing but trust me, give it a couple of months and you will wish you didnt get a laptop. The times you can use them are not as often as you think. Getting a desktop means you should be able to have lots of fun with gaming. As I said you can always get a cheap machine for when you are needing the portability.

The thing you have to remember with a laptop is that it will not be upgradeable. A desktop however you can take advantage of new trends. My laptop is over 18months old now and it shows. Still plays all the latest games but all be it a little slowly now. It was a hight spec machine back in the day and thats a mere 18months ago. If it was a desktop like I should of gotten I might be able to get a new graphics card and upgrade the processor.

Something to think about.

Fawaz 13:24 09 Aug 2007

I got told by people at my uni and on my course that a laptop is pretty essential. I have to basically live in the library for a few hours a day, looking up stuff in books, and the computers in the library tend to be taken. I'm not really a heavy PC gamer, mainly play RTS (Age of Empires III), since I have a PS3 and Wii for other gaming needs. That alienware build was about £1500.

To be honest, I have no idea what's good value for money when considering laptops, since i know nothing about them and this will be my first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?