How will I know if I have a pci express slot?

Tycho 19:38 12 Mar 2009

The title say it all!

T

Mr Mistoffelees 19:43 12 Mar 2009

This might help you: click here

Eargasm 23:13 12 Mar 2009

You could always download SIW ( system information for windows) click here

Install then under Hardware / Video Tab/ Bus mode/ it will say if it's PCI Express.

Tycho 08:44 13 Mar 2009

Thanks, Eargasm.

I have got that running but under Hardware/Video I don't see Bus mode (Its a tree structure on the LHS that I am looking at. There are Monitor, Modes and DirectX.

Under Hardware/PCI however, I get a heap of stuff. Is it here that I should be looking and for what?

TIA.

Nick

Technotiger 09:00 13 Mar 2009

In SWI>Hardware>System Slots ... this will list all your PCI slots and will show the PCI Express slots.

Technotiger 09:01 13 Mar 2009

Sorry ... SIW, not SWI!

gazzaho 09:12 13 Mar 2009

Look at the "hardware" section "system slots" mine says PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2

Tycho 10:53 16 Mar 2009

That's really good. Thanks.

I have three slots available marked PCI and one marked PCI, AGP. It seems, then, that I have no PCI express slot.

Really elementry question: do the slot numbers realte to the positions in which the cards fit in the computer? Are they numbered from top to bottom or vice versa?

The reason that I am asking is that I am considering the purchase of a graphics card. I would like to be economical wit this because there is not a lot of point in buying a dead expensive graphics card for a five year old machine.

I would like to run Trainz and am wondering if my computer can ever be up to it. I have heaps of disc space and 2GB of memory.

T

Tycho 10:54 16 Mar 2009

I forgot to ask:

Will an graphics card make any difference to my use of the computer in normal web browsing and office applications?

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?