How will computer "look" after erasing partitions

Philbert 15:58 05 Aug 2007

The last time I reformatted my Dell Dimension 8100 80G hard drive I partitioned it into 3 drives. It has become an unorganized mess (me, wife, 2 teenage kids). The C: drive is almost full of iTunes stuff and photos, etc. but the other drives have lots of space. I am thinking of erasing the partitions (using Gnome Gparted). My question is, when I erase the partitions what does it do with directories with the same name? Are they merged? Is one of them renamed? What about an application program (like itunes) using the E: drive? Does it get pointed to the C: drive when the partitions are erased?
This help site is excellent! The best! Thank you in advance.
Philbert

Technotiger 16:25 05 Aug 2007

Hi, I am not familiar with GG but Partition Magic will sort out your partitions without loss of data/programs/etc.

click here

brundle 16:30 05 Aug 2007

If you delete partitions, any data in them will be lost unless you move it to a partition you intend to keep first.

Philbert 16:58 05 Aug 2007

Perhaps I have misunderstood partition operations or am using the wrong term. I've seen people refer "erasing" a partition and "deleting" a partition. It appears that to preserve data one must move the D: and E: files to the C: drive before operating on them.

Technotiger 17:03 05 Aug 2007

Delete and erase is basically the same thing, and as brundle says, deleting partitions also deletes that partitions contents. You can resize/move partitions (without loss of data) using Partition Magic - so at a guess you may be able to do the same with your GG.

brundle 17:06 05 Aug 2007

You're using the right terms, and you've hit the nail on the head with your last post. Before any paritition operations it would be safest to copy the info on the partitions to be deleted onto a backup drive then copy them across when you've decided how to organise things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?